Thread: Messages Will Not Delete in Outlook Express

Messages Will Not Delete in Outlook Express

Hi everyone...!

I am using outlook for office & frequently got a strange error from it that the emails/message in the inbox was not able to delete it. this is happening since a week. I am getting many unwanted messages daily & getting frusted having lot of messages in it.

Please Give some solution!

Re: Messages Will Not Delete in Outlook Express

Stranger things have been known to happen to folks using Outlook Express, but I'm sure that's little comfort to you now. Here are some things you can try to remove the offending item from your inbox.

1. First, have you made sure that you are current with Windows Update patches and fixes? There are a bunch of nasty bugs in Outlook Express that can leave you open to attacks from specially formatted emails -- with or without attachments. Some viruses can be activated and spread to others just by viewing a message in the preview pane, but ONLY if you are using an old, unpatched version of Outlook.

2. Next, is your anti-virus protection up to date? If your service has expired, renew it ASAP. Or check with your ISP to see if they offer any free anti-virus software.

3. Try turning off the preview pane in Outlook (use View / Layout and UNcheck Show Preview Pane). Then right-click the offending message and select Delete.

4. Some users report success with pressing the Shift and Delete keys after highlighting the message. Note: This technique will delete the message without sending it to the Deleted Items folder.

5. Finally, it's possible that the undelete-able email does not contain any harmful content, but attempting to open it triggers a flaw in your anti-virus scanner. If you are certain that the email is a harmless message from a known person (and they are using anti-virus software), you could try suspending your anti-virus program, then attempt to delete the message.

Symptom:

When the mail is highlighted and deleted, a copy would go into the deleted folder but the original would stay in the inbox.

Possible Solution:

This behavior can occur if the Deleted Items folder is damaged. Move all messages you want to keep out of the Deleted Items folder and into another mail folder. Close OE, then delete the file "Deleted Items.dbx" in your Identity's store folder. OE will create a new one when it is reopened.

To find where your data files are stored, go to Tools>> Options>> Maintenance>> Store Folder and see where OE is keeping its data files.

Note: Deleted Items.dbx is a hidden file on XP. In order to find this file you will need to be able to see hidden files.
    Go to Start>> My Computer>> Tools>> Folder Options>> View. Under the "Hidden files and folders" folder, click inside the "Show hidden files and folders" option.

It might be better than not receiving mail — but not by much: Outlook Express keeps collecting emails and refuses to delete any. The best you can do is move mail you do not want to folders you never inspect.

Chances are, Outlook Express is not mad at you or trying to preserve any single email you get. Most probably, the Deleted Items folder has been damaged — and it can be repaired.

Fix Outlook Express When Deleting Messages Does Not Work

To make Outlook Express delete messages again:

1. Go to the Deleted Items folder in Outlook Express.

2. Move all messages you may want to keep to your Inbox or another folder.

3. Shut down Outlook Express.

4. Open your Outlook Express store folder.

5. Delete the "Deleted Items.dbx" file.

6. Restart Outlook Express.

7. Make sure you empty the Deleted Items folder frequently (say, once a week).

Can you export the mail out? If so, I'd export the mail out, delete the account, then re-import them. Then you should be able to delete normally. Basically it comes down to a corrupted mail folder.

OR

This was happening to me because in my mail was set up to "Use Cached Exchange Mode." I resolved it by going through the following steps:

1. "Start"
    2. "Settings"
    3. "Control Panel"
    4. "Mail"
    5. "Data Files"
    6. "E-mail Accounts"
    7. Double Clicked on "Microsoft Exchange Server"
    8. Removed the check from "Use Cached Exchange Mode"
    9. "Close"
    10. "Close"
    11. Opened Outlook and the mail was gone from my Outlook and I was able to accept my meeting requests again.

This might help you...!

searchlight Guest

This happens sometimes
    i have also had the problem sometimes
    you can try ctrl+d to delete or select all and delete or try one by one
    keep trying and it will work