Thread: About find fast indexer ?

About find fast indexer ?

hello,

I have heard about some feature called Find Fast Indexer available in Microsoft Windows systems. I am using Microsoft Windows XP at my place. I wanna know what is this Find Fast Indexer all about ? Is this feature really beneficial ? Can somebody help me providing information on this ?

thnx...

Re: About find fast indexer ?

The Find Fast Indexer is a utility that builds indexes to speed finding documents from the Open dialog box in Microsoft Office programs and from Microsoft Outlook. When you install Microsoft Office, a shortcut to Find Fast is placed in your startup program group.

You can open the Find Fast Control Panel icon to create additional indexes, delete indexes, and set other options. Although you can use Find Fast in the Control Panel, Find Fast indexes Office documents automatically and requires no user interaction.

The Microsoft Find Fast or Find Fast Indexer is a utility that is installed with Microsoft Office that creates an index of documents each time the computer boots and commonly runs in the background. Find Fast enables computers to search the contents of related Microsoft Office document such as Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Binder, Microsoft Access, WordPerfect, etc.

By default, Find Fast creates a single index on each hard disk on your computer. Note that Find Fast does not automatically index files on removable disk media. However, you may create multiple indexes on a single drive, especially on shared or network drives. You can do this but you cannot create indexes that overlap. For example, if a Find Fast index exists on drive C, you cannot create an additional index for files in the My Documents folder on drive C. To create an index of My Documents, first delete the index for drive C through the Find Fast Control Panel icon.

Find Fast index files are located in the folder in the topmost level in the hierarchy of indexed folders. For example, if you index an entire drive, the index file is located at the root of that drive.

Find Fast index files are hidden files.