Thread: How to convert file format from FLAC to MP3 files

How to convert file format from FLAC to MP3 files

I got some recent songs from my friend's dvd that I borrowed from him. The songs in that dvd are in the file format of .flac which I have never heard of! Ultimately the format uses more disk place on the hard disk. Every music file is well above 20MB whereas they should have been around 3-5MB if they were in .mp3 format. So I tried to convert those files to .mp3 format with the audio file converter software that I have. But the software does not recognize the .flac file format. Hence the conversion is not possible.

So my question is, can .flac files be converted to .mp3 files? If yes, then what program can be used for this purpose?

Please help... coz I dont have so much disk space left on my hard drive that I can store all the music files in the dvds. And I want all the songs

Re: How to convert file format from FLAC to MP3 files

First things first, make sure you’ve downloaded and installed Winamp, the Flac with library support plug-in for Winamp.

There are two steps in converting your .flac files to .mp3. The first is to decode the .flac’s into .wav files. After that’s done, you’ll encode the .wav files into .mp3’s.

Quote Originally Posted by X factor View Post
    The songs in that dvd are in the file format of .flac which I have never heard of! Ultimately the format uses more disk place on the hard disk.
    FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a lossless audio compression format. It’s often used to digitally store and transfer music without any loss in quality. The files tend to be rather large though - for example, 3 minutes of audio could take up around 18 Mb.

On the other hand, MP3 is a lossy compression format that is supported by pretty much any audio player (plus the files tend to be smaller).

However, an MP3 file at 256 kbit done with a decent encoder like LAME will have excellent quality. Obviously, any lossy compression loses something, but very few folks can tell the difference between these two.

Try dBpowerAMP for the conversion.

FLAC:Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) is a popular file format for audio data compression. Being a lossless compression format, FLAC does not remove information from the audio stream, as lossy compression formats such as MP3 and AAC do.

There is 4Musics FLAC to MP3 Converter available for the conversion. The beauty of using 4Musics FLAC to MP3 Converter is that it works from the right click menu on a file. You do not have to invoke a whole other program to convert FLAC to MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, M4A, AAC(iPod), AMR_NB, AMR_WB, MP2, RA, AC3, AIFF, MMF. Besides 4Musics FLAC to MP3 Converter includes FLAC Bitrate Changer.

Simply right click on the FLAC, select "Convert to MP3" or any other formats!

4Musics FLAC to MP3 Converter v 5.2

I was knowing about the lossless avi format for the videos. But I was was not knowing that flac is also there for audio. Thank you so much for quick and to the point reply and for clearing my doubts on these file formats. This forums rocks

Hi. I had a similar problem with FLACs recently and this tutorial helped me out pretty much. Might be useful for you as well.
    BTW thanks for the thread. I could use these suggestions too