Thread: Merge multiple iTunes libraries

Merge multiple iTunes libraries

Hello,
    I have several folders of iTunes on different hard drives. I finally just bought new mac with a max of love Go and retrieve files from iTunes all my records and merge them into a single library.
    How?

Thank you in advance

Re: Merge multiple iTunes libraries

create a new folder on your hard drive and will put all your pieces. Then in iTunes preferences, select this as a library.

In fact, yes. You can do it like that or your library may be in any folder is configurable via the preferences. For example, my library is Music to me is on my external hard drive

There are many ways to move those tracks. If the two computers are networked, simply copy them across the network, launch iTunes, drag the files to the Library entry in iTunes’ Source list, and the files will be added to the iTunes library. Alternatively, burn the tracks to a disc as data (Preferences -> Advanced -> Burning -> Data CD or DVD), move the burned disc to the Windows box, and drag the files from the disc to the Library entry in the Source list. Or, if the sister has an iPod, sync the iPod on the laptop to copy the purchased tracks to the iPod, move the iPod to the Windows box, and let iTunes 7 import them. (A new feature in iTunes 7 will, with your permission, copy purchased tracks from an iPod to a computer authorized to play them.)

simply locate the folder on the external drive that contains his music files and drag it to the Library entry in iTunes’ Source list to add the files. But I might offer this variation. Choose Preferences -> Advanced -> General and uncheck the Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library option. When you do this, iTunes will leave the files exactly where they are rather than copying them to the internal drive. Note that if you disconnect that drive and launch iTunes, iTunes won’t have a clue where the music files from the external drive are and when you try to play one of them, it will bear a small question mark icon and refuse to play.