Thread: DVD software not recognizable

DVD software not recognizable

Hello
    I bought a Acer desktop computer x1700 series. worked ok until monday where I suddenly noticed the dvd wasnt reading the dvd's. I went into the device manager and its has a yellow color. I tried to reinstall the software in the device manager and its says i have the most up to date drive. I keep getting an error message 39 on the device mgr. Acer tech said to uninstall the software and reboot and windows will recoginze the device and reinstall. It did not happened. I never had problems with computers, so I didnt buy the extended warranty. I did make a copy of the recovery disk, but I cannot use since the dvd is not working. any suggestions
    thanks

Re: DVD software not recognizable

Download CDgone, right click on the downloaded file and choose Extract All, then double-click on cdgone.reg Say "Yes" to the merge question and then reboot. See if the drives have returned. You may have to re-install CD burning applications, since they're the ones that tinker with the filter setting in the registry that caused the drives to disappear.

To Fix this Code 39 error, follow these instructions:

NOTE: After removing these registry keys and rebooting, it may be necessary to reinstall any CD or DVD recording applications.

1) Close all open programs

2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter

3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
    UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete

6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor

7) Reboot your computer

8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

To fix this error, first try to update the driver from the Device Manager. To open Device Manager, right-click My Computer on your Desktop, and then on the Hardware tab, select the Device Manager button.

In the Device Manager window, identify the CD or DVD drive item (with Yellow exclamation mark), right-click on it and select Update Driver. Follow the screen instructions to update the device driver and restart your PC.

The post above yours should work. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

The key for me was to "delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters registry values that can cause CD access problems" in Vista X86. If I recall it was the upperfilter that caused the issue.

Follow the steps and then reboot before doing anything else. Remember the registry is created from an algorithm on boot.

Thank you all for your replies. Your suggestions worked. sorry for taking so long to thank you.