Thread: Adobe Photoshop Hijacks Computer

Adobe Photoshop Hijacks Computer

I recently installed Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0 on my desktop. The photoediting part of the software works just fine. However, the blasted program has hijacked my computer! Whenever I insert a jump drive into any USB port, it immediately launches Photoshop Elements. This is incredibly annoying. How do I take back control of my computer? Adobe has obviously engineered this software to intentionally and automatically do this without permission from the owner. At no time during the installation was I asked to change my default settings. And when I open a jpg file in Windows Explorer, I expect Windows Picture Manager to open it, not Photoshop Elements. This is worse than spam.

Re: Adobe Photoshop Hijacks Computer

Uninstall the program and try using some other edditing option. Also try to have a virus scan of your entire computer which will help you to delete any malicious file if found.

It seems that your autorun is set to open Adobe when any usb drive is detected which contains image. All you need to do is turn off Autorun.

How do i do that?
    Ah! Its quite simple...

Do the following :

• Plug the usb drive.
    • Go to 'My Computer'
    • Right-Click on your usb drive and click properties.
    • Then Click on Auto-Play Tab.
    • Now in the drop-down box there will be many options for different file contents.
    • For each Option select 'Take no actions'
    • Done!!

After doing this, whatever may be the content of your usb-drive, you will have to open it manually, it won't auto play.
    All the best!

Alas, no joy. I was able to set Windows Picture Manager as the default program to open files in Windows Explorer. Inserting a jump drive into a USB port, however, continues to launch Photoshop Essentials. Tried right clicking on the USB drive in My Computer, clicking Properties, and then the Autoplay tab. Clicked "Take No Action" for all media. No effect. Still launches Photoshop Essentials when you insert a jump drive. The Adobe installation has made some modification to the computer settings to cause this and its obviously not an accident - it's designed to do this. Any other suggestions?

TO DISABLE photoshop from importing automatically from a portable drive. (this is for PSE3...not sure what version you have). Open Photoshop Editor then go to EDIT - PREFERENCES - ORGANIZE AND SHARE. It will open a calendar organizer and then a POP OVER window will appear that says PREFERENCES on top of the window. Go to the CAMERA OR CARD READER tab and UNCHECK "use adobe photoshop to get photos from camera or card reader" then click OK at the bottom. It will no longer access your flash drive on install.

Here is a quick and easy fix where you kill the automatic downloader and then obtain your pictures manually when necessary. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Album Starter Ediction)3.0\Apps and rename the file apdproxy.exe to some else like apdproxy-save.exe Then reboot your computer. That will fix it until you install Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition again. Always be aware of those little programs that tag along with your wanted program downloads and opt out on them.

Good one, Muhtilda. That did the trick. Finally killed that sucker.