Thread: AFter Office 2003 SP3 Update, my custom dictionary is gone...

AFter Office 2003 SP3 Update, my custom dictionary is gone...

Hi guys,

Am new here. A very good friend of mine recommended me this site. I was having some serious trouble with MS Word. Well, the thing is, by profession I am a Medical Transcriptionist, and I've got like at least a THOUSAND medical words and terms added to my MS Word dictionary.

Now, after I downloaded the Office 2003 SP3 update and installed it, it's all gone now All my words are showing up as RED AGAIN

Guys, please help me out.

PS: I knew something might happen, and I took backup of my .dic dictionaries, normal.dot, etc, but even after restoring all of them, it's still showing all those words as RED

Any help in this regards will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx a lot in advance

Re: AFter Office 2003 SP3 Update, my custom dictionary is gone...

Can you do a System Restore to a previous point to a day before you downloaded and installed the SP3? I think it should restore everything as before.

Basically, when you had installed the SP3; something should had went wrong resulting the deletion of your custom dictionary.

How to Download and Install the Updates:

• Important Before you install this update, make sure that the following requirements have been met.
    • Microsoft Windows Installer 2.0
    • Before you install this update, you must install Windows Installer 2.0 or later.
    • For additional information about this requirement, see the "Windows Installer
    • Update Requirements" section of this article.
    • Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP-3)
    • Before you install this update, install Office XP SP-3. For additional
    • information about how to install Office XP Service Pack 3, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    • 325671 Description of the Office XP Service Pack 3 (Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3 for Multilingual User Interface Pack)
    • Before you install the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218 for
    • Multilingual User Interface Pack, install Office XP Service Pack 2 for Multilingual User Interface Pack.

Client Updates:

• If you installed Office XP from a CD-ROM, you have the following two options:
    • Use the Office Product Updates Web site to automatically install all the latest updates that include all available service packs and public updates.
    • Install only the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218 for Multilingual User Interface Pack and the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218 by following the steps described later in this article.
    • Note Microsoft recommends that you install the client update by using the Office Product Updates Web site. The Office Product Updates Web site detects your particular installation of Microsoft Office and prompts you to install exactly what you must have to make sure that your Office installation is completely up-to-date.

Office Product Updates Web Site

To have the Office Product Updates Web site detect the required updates that you must install on your computer, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://office.microsoft.com/ProductUpdates/default.aspx

1. After detection is complete, you receive a list of recommended updates for your approval. Click Start Installation to complete the process.
    2. Install Only the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218 for Multilingual User Interface Pack and the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218
    3. Follow these steps to install the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218 for Multilingual User Interface Pack:
    4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    5. Click to download the Client Update
    6. Click Save to save the OfficeXP-KB816218-Client-eng.exe file to the selected
    7. folder.
    8. In Windows Explorer, double-click OfficeXP-KB816218-Client-eng.exe.
    9. If you are prompted to install the update, click Yes.
    10. Click Yes to accept the license agreement.
    11. When you are prompted to do so, insert your Office XP CD-ROM , and then
    12. click OK.
    13. When you receive a message that indicates the installation was successful, click OK.
    14. Note After you install the update, you cannot remove it. To revert to an installation before the update was installed, you must remove Office XP, and then install it again from the original CD-ROM.

Follow these steps to install the Office XP Input Method Editor Update: KB816218:

Visit the following Microsoft Web site:

1. Click to download the Client Update
    2. Click Save to save the Officexp-kb816218-client-jpn.exe file to the selected
    3. folder.
    4. In Windows Explorer, double-click the Officexp-kb816218-client-jpn.exe file.
    5. If you are prompted to install the update, click Yes.
    6. Click Yes to accept the license agreement.
    7. When you are prompted to do so, insert your Office XP CD-ROM, and then
    8. click OK.
    9. When you receive a message that indicates the installation was successful, click OK.
    10. Note After you install the update, you cannot remove it. To revert to an installation before the update was installed, you must remove Office XP, and then install it again from the original CD-ROM.

Thanx for helping me out dude. Everything is fine now . All I had to do is reinstall my standalone medical dictionaries (all 16 of em) to make em "integrate" again with MS Word, and everything now is fine I also remembered I had taken a backup of my MS Word settings using the "Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard" just a few weeks back.

I reinstalled all my dictionaries and did a restore of the settings with the "Save My Settings Wizard" and everything is back to normal.

Thanx a lot for all the help guys.