Thread: MS Project - Resource Leveling

MS Project - Resource Leveling

I'm trying to use task priorities and resource leveling to eliminate over allocation. However I keep getting Project can not resolve the over allocation of resource xxxxxx on date yyyyyyy. Any ideas how to solve this problem.

Thanks

Re: MS Project - Resource Leveling

Resource leveling (leveling: Resolving resource conflicts or overallocations by delaying or splitting certain tasks. When Project levels a resource, its selected assignments are distributed and rescheduled.) is a way to fix resource overallocation (overallocation: The result of assigning more tasks to a resource than the resource can accomplish in the working time available.). Generally, resources are leveled in two ways:

* By delaying (delay: The amount of time between the scheduled start of a task and the time when work should actually begin on the task; it is often used to resolve resource overallocations. There are two types of delay: assignment delay and leveling delay.) a task until the assigned resource has time to work on it.
    * By splitting (split task: A task whose schedule is interrupted. For example, a two-day task that does not require contiguous work might be split so that the first day of work is scheduled for Monday, and the second day is scheduled for Thursday.) a task so that part of a task is done when planned and the rest of it is done later when the assigned resource has time.

For more information here you could get some:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/pr...419391033.aspx

Thanks for your reply. I agree that overallocation should be solved by dealying and splitting tasks, however I still get the an error that Project can't resolve the overallocation. If all the tasks are set to start as soon as possible then why doesn't Project simply move task to later start dates? I tried using Leveling Delay from the Resource Useage view but the field I wanted to change is LOCKED. Any idea why that might happen?