Thread: Unable to play .mpg files in Windows Movie Maker

Unable to play .mpg files in Windows Movie Maker

I had captured some video clips using a Sony HDD Camcorder DCR-SR300E. I downloaded the clips into my computer and the downloaded video files in my computer have extensions of .mpg . I can play the files in Windows Media Player. When I am trying to edit the clip, I tried importing the clips into Windows Movie Maker, the Windows Movie Maker gives me the following error message :

The file C:\Documents and Settings\...\Pic.mpg cannot be imported because the codec required to play the file is not installed on your computer. If you have already tried to download and install the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, and then try to import the file again.
    Hence I seek your help. I have already done it in my Windows Movie Maker but yet no difference.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Unable to play .mpg files in Windows Movie Maker

Ultra MPEG-4 Converter is a powerful video converter and encoder that allows for performing conversions from multiple video formats, into MPEG4 formats used frequently in mobile devices.

The availability of so many video formats, generates the necessity of having a good converter to migrate videos to the different platforms or portable players, this program generates files of excellent quality to be played back in these devices: MP4, iPod, PSP, PS3, Zune, XBOX 360, Archos, mobile phones, Pocket PC, Palm, among others.

Supported Formats:

Input Formats: DivX, XviD, AVI, WMV, MPG, MPEG, MP4, M4V, FLV, 3GP, ASF, RM, RMVB, MOV, MOD, ASX, MKV, OGM, SVCD, VCD, VOB

Output Formats: 3GP, AVI, DIVX, MP4, AVC, MOV, ASF, WMV

Main Features:

- Complete support for dual core processors
    - Support for performing conversions in batch mode (multiple files simultaneously)
    - Includes MPEG4/AVC encoder
    - Allows for customization of output quality
    - Allows for adjusting size
    - Support for subtitles
    - Support for drag and drop

K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools. Codecs are required to encode and/or decode (play) audio and video. The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play 99% of all the movies that you download from the internet.

The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs:

- It it always up-to-date with the latest versions of the codecs.
    - It is very user-friendly and the installation is fully customizable, meaning that you can install only those components that you really want.
    - It has been very well tested, so that the package doesn't contain any conflicting codecs.
    - It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.

There are three versions of the K-Lite Codec Pack: Basic, Standard and Full.

K-Lite Codec Pack Basic contains only the most essential things. It contains everything you need to be able to play the most popular and widespread formats. It is small enough to fit on a single floppy. Also great for including on your movie CDs.
    K-Lite Codec Pack Standard contains everything you need to play all the commonly used formats. This package should be enough for the average user.
    K-Lite Codec Pack Full contains even more codecs. It also has encoding support for the various formats. This package is for power users and people who do their own encodings.

Microsoft DirectX is a group of technologies designed to make Windows-based computers an ideal platform for running and displaying applications rich in multimedia elements such as full-color graphics, video, 3D animation, and rich audio. DirectX includes security and performance updates, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using the DirectX APIs.

Try updating the Direct-x. Here is the link:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

File formats supported by Windows Movie Maker:

• Video files: .asf, .avi, .wmv
    • Movie files: MPEG1, .mpeg, .mpg, .m1v, .mp2
    • Audio files: .wav, .snd, .au, .aif, .aifc, .aiff
    • Windows Media files: .asf, .wm, .wma, .wmv
    • Still images: .bmp, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .jfif, .gif
    • MP3 format audio: .mp3

Although you can play a file in Microsoft Windows Media Player, you may not be able to import the file into Windows Movie Maker even though this list contains that kind of file. You may not be able to import the file if the codec that was used to encode the audio or video is not a codec that is included with Windows XP. In that case, you may be able to re-encode the video or audio by using Windows Media Encoder, and then import the video or audio.

To download the Windows Media Encoder for free, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

Try MPEG VIDEO WIZARD DVD it takes mpeg files.Its so easy to use and has a 30 day trial so you can try it out. It's called womble mpeg video wizard dvd.hope that helps