Thread: Outlook Express

Outlook Express

I am using Windows XP.
    Iam experiencing problems when I try to Send emails.
    Every time I press send, I immediately get an error message box (with NO errors listed). Outlook Express displays the message in the Outbox, but without me realising it, the computer continues to re-send the message until I go to my Outbox and delete the message. Friends are complaining that I am filling their Inbox (very understandable).
    I have had Norton technical support remotely check my computer, and they found no viruses or errors.
    I have contacted my Internet Provider, who were not helpful. They simply suggested that I re-install Outlook Express. I cannot do that, because I do not have a copy of Windows. And I do not want to do it, because of the problems with saving my Inbox emails and my contacts.
    I live in a small country town, with very limited technical support. Can anyone please suggest a solution. I can receive emails, but I cannot send without the problem happening every time

Re: Outlook Express

Did you try to delete your previous account from OE & tried to reconfigure it?

Thread Moved

Check the Event Viewer log, and also Device Manager for yellow & red flags.

Run chkdsk.

Are your XP updates current ?

Are your Norton AV definitions current ?

Thanks very much for your suggestions, I really appreciate your help.
    I "think" that I fixed the problem with sending emails.
    I went to my "Sent Items" box, and noted that it contained over 1800 messages (many with large attachments). I highlighted ALL sent items, and hit Delete. The computer worked like crazy for about half and hour, then went idle. I waited, then tried to delete "individual" messages, but many of them would not respond to Delete.
    I Googled the problem, and found a forum which suggested that I Delete my entire Sent Items box (with the assurance that Outlook Express would recreate a new empty Sent Items box).
    I had to do a search for " *.dbx " folders, and found the .dbx folder for Sent Items. I successfully deleted it, and as advised, when I opened Outlook Express, a new empty Sent Items box was there.
    I then tried sending a small test message to myself, which worked fine (without error messages). I then sent another message with a large attachment to myself, and that worked fine also.
    I think that problem is solved. But, I had asked a friend to see if he could fix the problem, and while we were fumbling through what we knew, I mentioned that I was also getting a very annoying message EVERY time I shut my computer down - "Ending program - WMS Idle". Through Google, we found out that WMS Idle was related to a Nero program for my new Asus Burner. We followed the directions on how to stop WMS Idle from running, but when I started my computer today it gave me a message to do with System Configuration. That message said it would come up each time I start my computer, until I undo the change. Being unsure just what to do, I chose to ignore that message (knowing that I will get it again each time I start my computer). Until I can find someone to advise me, I do not want to change anything.
    But now, I cannot delete items from my InBox. I am quite sure that this is because I am running in "Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode", which I am ASSUMING prevents me from deleting unwanted emails from my InBox.
    Do you agree that this problem is related to changing the configuration of the WMS Idle program ?? Deleting my Sent Items folder has nothing to do with Start-up, but WMS Idle IS related to Start-up, and I think that I have created my own problem by stopping WMS Idle from starting up. I think it is just coincidence that I am now having problems deleting from my InBox, and I think Outlook Express will run okay when I fix my System Configuration problem.
    Is my logic reasonable ??
    Can anyone correct me, or give me better advice ?? I am not real smart with computers, and changing configurations without knowing what I am doing does scare me.
    Thanks again for your advice
    Geoff