Thread: Remote desktop connection from Windows Vista Home Premium client to Windows xp Professional host

Remote desktop connection from Windows Vista Home Premium client to Windows xp Professional host

Hi. I want to use 'Remote Desktop' to connect my Windows Vista Home Premium notebook (as a client) to my Windows xp Professional desktop (as a host).

I've enabled 'allow users to remotely connect to this computer' in my host computer. Both computers are in the same workgroup. I want to add my username of the notebook into "Select Users" under 'control panel' --> 'system' --> 'remote' --> 'add', but even if both computers are connected to the same router, I do not see my laptop in the 'locations' window. I tried to connect my laptop to the host desktop using 'Remote Desktop', but when I try to open the workgroup, I get the error (something like) "this workgroup does not have a terminal server".

I thought I just need the two computers on the same workgroup, in order for my laptop to be able to connnect to my desktop using 'Remote Desktop'. What do I have to do, make it work? Thanks.

I don't want to upgrade my Windows xp Professional desktop to Windows Vista Ultimate. And that thread doesn't help.