Hi,

I need to create a sysprep image for 2008 server that will prompt for a
    product key on start up. We use MSDN keys here for licensing. I tried
    enteringthe product key in the Win PE pass, as suggeested in WAIK CHM
    document, but it does not work.

Any suggestions?

Meinolf Weber Guest

Re: 2008 server prompt for product key, sysprep image

If you run the sysprep from the sysprep folder with the GUI, check Generalize
    and shutdown or reboot. Duriong the next startup you are prompted for the
    installation key.

Best regards

lumpy04 Guest

I have tried that , same result: no prompt for Product Key.

I usually run this:
    c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown
    /unattend:unattend.xml

According to the Unattend.chm:

If you specify a product key in the windowsPE configuration pass with
    ProductKey, then Windows welcome will prompt for a product key.

I tried this and it did not work either. removing the product key from the
    answer file does not cause 2008 server to prompt me for a key.

How do I force it to ask me for a key?

dennyd Guest
    Try running sysprep.exe without the unattended file.

Have same problem trying to sysprep 2008 Server on HP ML370 G6. Have to use unattended installation to preserve 3rd party drivers (HP P410i raid driver is handy for booting) since the default without unattended install is to delete all 3rd party drivers - but cannot get the sysprepped image to prompt for a product key upon booting.

Perhaps there is some other way to rip out the product key (that Windows will prompt to re-enter upon rebooting) before imaging?

Has anyone solve this?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdrake View Post
    Have same problem trying to sysprep 2008 Server on HP ML370 G6. Have to use unattended installation to preserve 3rd party drivers (HP P410i raid driver is handy for booting) since the default without unattended install is to delete all 3rd party drivers - but cannot get the sysprepped image to prompt for a product key upon booting.

Perhaps there is some other way to rip out the product key (that Windows will prompt to re-enter upon rebooting) before imaging?

Has anyone solve this?
    Thanks
    Below is a step to sysprep a Windows 2008 server in a VMware VI enviroment.
    (Use this workaround until VMware VI allows you run sysprep against a WIN2008 Server)
    1. Change the source or templates Guest Operating Systemsetting to “Vista (32 bit)” or “Vista (64 bit)” depending on the installation of the Windows 2008 server installation.
    2. Clone the VM or template and you are now able to customize your Win2008 server with sysprep.
    3. After the cloning is done Power On the new VM and let the customization complete.
    4. Shutdown the VM and change the Guest Operating Systemsetting back to “Windows Server 2008 (32/64 bit)”

I'm not using VM. I'm just trying to create an image of 2008 Server that can be used for distribution. After restoring the image, upon 1st boot, I want 2008 to prompt for a Product Key. Should be easy but it's broke in WAIK on my machine. Could the trouble be that my server was 2003 Server updated to 2008 Server using the 2008 media. I'm using the new sysprep (windows/system32/sysprep.exe) that was installed by the 2008 update - I know this because the GUI is the new one.

using:
    sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:c:\unattend.xml

where c:\unattend.xml is the file I created with the "don't throw out my 3rd party drivers" and run "windows-setup to prompt me for a product key". All this per the microsoft documentation....but it does not work as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by sdrake View Post
    I'm not using VM. I'm just trying to create an image of 2008 Server that can be used for distribution. After restoring the image, upon 1st boot, I want 2008 to prompt for a Product Key. Should be easy but it's broke in WAIK on my machine. Could the trouble be that my server was 2003 Server updated to 2008 Server using the 2008 media. I'm using the new sysprep (windows/system32/sysprep.exe) that was installed by the 2008 update - I know this because the GUI is the new one.

using:
    sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:c:\unattend.xml

where c:\unattend.xml is the file I created with the "don't throw out my 3rd party drivers" and run "windows-setup to prompt me for a product key". All this per the microsoft documentation....but it does not work as advertised.
    I am kind of not sure for this, but it might be worth a shot. I'm just now diving into sysprep for '08 so I'm no expert yet. In past versions, I have always left the entry there, however, it would be blank by using 2 double-quotes. For the XML version I'd imagine you might try including the entry and not specifying a value (i.e., <ComputerName></ComputerName>). I believe with the entry removed that it defaults to an asterisk (*) value by default.