Thread: Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain controller

Ralf Thiel Guest

Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain controller

Microsoft Support sent the following reply after I requested the KB recommended hotfix:

"I understand that you would like to obtain hotfix from Microsoft. Currently the hotfix described in 919151 is not available for 64 bit."

My problem is described in this KB article 919151 :

In a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 forest in which all domain controllers run only an x86-based version of Windows, you experience one of the following symptoms: . You cannot deploy a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain controller.
    . You cannot deploy Windows Server 2003 R2 schema-dependent features.
    When you try to run the the Adprep.exe tool, you may receive the following error message:
    ADPREP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine" or "ADPREP.EXE is not a valid win32 application

This problem occurs because the x86-based version of the Active Directory Preparation tool (Adprep.exe) is not included in the Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition installation media.

To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site ...

My Question now:

Is there any way to promote my Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition to a domain controller without this hotfix?

kj [SBS MVP] Guest

Re: Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain controller

If it's already installed with R2 and you have no 32bit R2 server media, then yes. you need the hotfix.
    (or if you can still find a download trial version of 2003 R2 32bit)

--
    /kj
    "Ralf Thiel" <rthiel@itbuero.de> wrote in message news:eMH3DxflIHA.1680@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
    Microsoft Support sent the following reply after I requested the KB recommended hotfix:

"I understand that you would like to obtain hotfix from Microsoft. Currently the hotfix described in 919151 is not available for 64 bit."

In a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 forest in which all domain controllers run only an x86-based version of Windows, you experience one of the following symptoms: . You cannot deploy a Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain controller.
    When you try to run the the Adprep.exe tool, you may receive the following error message:
    ADPREP.EXE is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine" or "ADPREP.EXE is not a valid win32 application

This problem occurs because the x86-based version of the Active Directory Preparation tool (Adprep.exe) is not included in the Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition installation media.

To resolve this problem, submit a request to Microsoft Online Customer Services to obtain the hotfix. To submit an online request to obtain the hotfix, visit the following Microsoft Web site ...

My Question now:

Is there any way to promote my Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition to a domain controller without this hotfix?

Ralf Thiel Guest

Re: Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition-based domain controller

I found the following advise/link in TechNet Forums » Windows Server 2008 » Migration » Migrating from Server 2003 SP1 to 2003 R2:

"You can use the 32 bit version of adprep from evaluation CD which can be download from following link: https://profile.microsoft.com/RegSys...16ec&lcid=1033
    And when upgrading to R2 you'll need the adprep that's on CD2."

I downloaded only CD2, used adprep.exe straight from the image file mounted with "Nero Image Drive" and updated my schema from version 30 to version 31 with success!

Thereafter I could finally use dcpromo to activate this Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition as a domain controller.

Thank you

Ralf

"kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ.SBS@SPAMFREE.gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OfnE%235glIHA.5208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
    If it's already installed with R2 and you have no 32bit R2 server media, then yes. you need the hotfix.
    (or if you can still find a download trial version of 2003 R2 32bit)

--
    /kj
    "Ralf Thiel" <rthiel@itbuero.de> wrote in message news:eMH3DxflIHA.1680@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...

My Question now: