Thread: Upgrade issue server 2003 R2 SP2 Std. to Server 2003 R2 SP2 ENT.

gigabyteconsulting Guest

Upgrade issue server 2003 R2 SP2 Std. to Server 2003 R2 SP2 ENT.

I ran the upgrade but 3/4 of the way through it asked for Disk 2. I inserted
    disk 2 but it says that it can not find the install.exe or install.ex_ file.
    I have viewed the disk and there is not install file. Do I skip the file and
    continue are is there something I am missing?

Any fix for this?

This is a 'me too' message I'm afraid. Anyone found out anything about this problem?

During the 'Installing Windows' phase with about 25 mins to go (progress bar shows about 75%) I get a dialogue box saying:

"the file 'install.exe' on Windows 2003 disk 2 is needed"

There is no install.exe on disk 2 (or disk 1 or the SP2 disk).
    --
    Life is not a rehearsal - get it right.

hello,
    Did you ever get this straightened out? I am having this issue right now.
    Thanks
    Chris walker

Edwin vMierlo [MVP] Guest

Re: Upgrade issue server 2003 R2 SP2 Std. to Server 2003 R2 SP2 ENT.

what issue ?

please do not reply to a known and in this case old discussion

restate your problem, with as much detail of the symptom you are
    experiencing, errors seen in log files, messages on screen

rgds,
    Edwin.

"cwalker007" <cwalker007.3faqbc@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message
    news:cwalker007.3faqbc@DoNotSpam.com...
    >
    > hello,
    > Did you ever get this straightened out? I am having this issue right
    > now.
    > Thanks
    > Chris walker
    >
    >
    > --
    > cwalker007
    > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > cwalker007's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/cwalker007.htm
    > View this thread:

>
    > http://forums.techarena.in
    >

Quote Originally Posted by cwalker007 View Post
    hello,
    Did you ever get this straightened out? I am having this issue right now.
    Thanks
    Chris walker
    You are not alone.
    I tried to slipstream the Windows 2003 EE x64 SP2 in to the SP1 source and get the error. Have you been able to resolve it yet? If you cancel the "install.exe" prompt, when the install completes, it appears as if the SP2 install has failed. But the Standard Edition is now Enterprise Edition.
    Last edited by DRRummel; 18-09-2008 at 04:35 AM.

I was given our agency’s base OS image. It have been debugged, though quality assurance, and approved. So, the upgrade to EE needs to be simple. The fewer number of steps , the sooner I can deploy it. The base image is Windows 2003 Std. Edition SP2 R2. All software should have been downloaded from the MVLP. The CD Key on the base image is the same as the CDs I am using. The CD (DVDs) I have in my hands are labeled:
    W2K3 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition (with SP1) (Disk 1 of 2)
    W2K3 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition (contains R2) (Disk 2 of 2)
    W2K3 R2 Enterprise x64 Edition (Contains SP2)

I tried to run our W2K3 EE for x64 with SP1, but it says that the base OS image is newer then the CD install.

So I tried to slipstream SP2 into the OS install. I copied each of the CD to the local disk. Each is in its own directory.

Attempt 1:
    1. I copied the contents of the OS w/ SP1 directory to a new directory called AIO.
    2. I then ran the SP2 hotfix with the integrate command line parameter /integrate:d:\AIO (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe /integrate:d:\AIO). I got a pop up message about integrating files.
    3. I ran the setup from the AIO directory and I got an error message during the install that it could not find “The file INSTALL.exe on Windows 2003 Disk 2 is needed.”. I also could not find the Install.exe in any of the directories.

Attempt 2:
    1. I copied the contents of the OS w/ SP1 directory to a new directory called AIO.
    2. I extracted the SP2 file with the /x parameter (WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB914961-SP2-x64-ENU.exe –x:d:\SP2_Files). The files were extracted to d:\SP2_files.
    3. I then tried to slipstream SP2 in the sourse directory using the –s parameter (c:\SP2_Files\AMD64\update\update.exe –s:d:\AIO
    4. I ran the setup from the AIO directory and I got an error message during the install that it could not find “The file INSTALL.exe on Windows 2003 Disk 2 is needed.”. I also could not find the Install.exe in any of the directories.

Wondering if the missing install.exe was part of the R2 install, I attempted to integrate the R2 components into the source.

Attempt 3:
    The same as attempt 1 but with the R2 source files copied to the d:\AIO directory.
    Failed again looking for the missing INSTALL.exe.

Attempt 4:
    The same as attempt 2 but with the R2 source files copied to the D:\AIO directory. Failed like all the rest.

Attempt 5:
    Same as attempt3, but this time I allowed the setup routine to go to the internets to download any setup updates from Microsoft. Still not finding Install.exe.

Interesting notes, when the setup prompts for Install.exe, if I skip the file, setup will continue to run. I believe that after the first reboot, the R2 setup automatically runs its setup routine. So I am guessing it is the SP2 routine that is triggering the Install.exe prompt. Another thought is that some other installed application is trying to reinstall after the OS update. Maybe Dell OpenMange? This is the best part, the logon screen has the Windows 2003 x64 STANDARD Edition graphic, but once logged on MSINFO32 indicates that the OS is Windows 2003, x64, Enterprise Edition, with R2.

What is causing the Install.exe prompt? How do I build a clean Windows 2003 EE x64 SP2 upgrade process to get from Windows 2003 SE x64 SP2 R2 R2?

ChristianHaberl Guest

Re: Upgrade issue server 2003 R2 SP2 Std. to Server 2003 R2 SP2 EN

I have exactly the same issue as described by gigabyteconsulting, MikeCherry,
    cwalker007.

"the file 'install.exe' on windows server 2003 disk 2 is needed" when there
    is no install.exe or install.ex_ on that disk.

I get the errorabout 75% into the installation, with 25 minutes left.

@Edwin - Why do you attack cwalker007 when all he wants to know is, if this
    behaviour, described by 2 users in this thread, has been resolved?
    if you don't have a solution to offer, you should be the one not replying to
    this discussion.
    Now there are 4 users in this thread describing the same situation (bug)...
    So maybe there will be a solution posted here some time, or even a KB-article.

Meinolf Weber Guest

Hello ChristianHaberl,

In this newsgroup "microsoft.public.windows.server.general" there are no
    other postings except that one where Edwin replied to. That's the reason.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
    no rights.

ChristianHaberl Guest

very awkward. earlier I saw all those posts on forums.microsoft.com or
    something like that. now i get the email notification, which takes me to a
    different page (microsoft.com/communites) and half the posts in the thread
    are missing.
    the only place where i can still see the whole thread as it was, is here:

if you look at this thread and the 4 user posts describing the exact same
    problem you will understand why i found edwins comment strange.

Solved: remove DotNetFramework 2.0

I had to build the base image step by step and test the EE SP2 upgrade every step of the way until I installed the offending product. My money was on the Broadcom teaming software, the Dell Diagnostics or the Dell Server Assistance. But it turns that the DotNetFramework 2.0 was the problem. Going to the Add/Remove programs control panel applet and removing the dotNetFramework 2.0 SP1 resolved the issue with the supplied SE server image. I don’t know if it was the base dotNetFramework or the service pack for it. But removing them allowed for a clean slipstream upgrade. I hope this helps others.

The .Net 2.0 comment got me thinking so I downloaded the redistributable, extracted it, and then pointed to that install.exe and the upgrade continued fine.

Problem solved for my upgrade.

Note: There were some issues after the installation completed with .Net 2.0 and I ended up having to uninstall / reinstall but at least if you get stuck pointing to its install.exe will get you going again.

My recommendation here would be to uninstall .Net 2.0 before upgrading (if you can).
    Last edited by Zakster; 20-12-2008 at 05:11 AM.

Uninstalling .Net 2.0 from the base image, doing the OS upgrade and then reapplying the .Net 2.0 was my resolution. I am glad it pointed you in the right direction also.

This is caused by .NET 2.0

I resolved it by canceling the prompt and proceeding with the upgrade (which broke .NET 2.0) then using the .NET cleanup tool

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/arc...30/611355.aspx

to remove .NET 2.0 completely and I was then able to reinstall .NET 2.0 (I wasnt able to reinstall .NET 2.0 after uninstalling until i used the cleanup tool)

A contact from Microsoft also did some research and indicated that prior to installing the upgrade if I would have used Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Disk2\R2AUTO.EXE (instead of the regular Enterprise Disk1\setup.exe) I would have avoided this problem (though I never personally tested this).

Hope this helps someone!

Hi

I am going to try as you suggest with the Windows 2003 Ent SP2. As I want to turn an eval .VHD into a developer setup..

I looked at uninstalling .NET 2 but I noticed ib my case, not only .NET 3.0 and NET 3.51 SP1 installed as well but also a number of windows apps ... I would think this would risky. Unless someone out there as uninstalled .NET2 with the above and happily completed the win2003R2 upgrade.

Daniel