Thread: Unable To Install Additional Windows Components

Unable To Install Additional Windows Components

I'm trying to install SNMP on a Windows 2003/SP2 box. During the Setup process, it asks for the Windows Server 2003 CD because it needs to copy certain .dll files. Sometimes it asks for a Service Pack 2 CD. And it doesn't ask for the same .dll file every time. In either case, I put the appropriate CD in the drive and point the wizard to the file it's looking for (the file is always there), but it keeps coming back and saying it cannot copy the file.

An example: right now it's asking for the snmpmib.dll on the Windows 2003 Sever CD. When I put the CD in and point it directly to the file it just keeps coming back and asking for the file again.

I tried making new copies of the CD and have also cached both of them to a CD tower and pointed the Wizard to the installation files on the LAN. I have gone through this exact same process with 15 other servers and have not had a problem. For some reason, I cannot get SNMP on this one server.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT] Guest

RE: Unable To Install Additional Windows Components

Is is asking for snmpmib.dll or snmpmib.dl_?
    The compressed or uncompressed file. It should be compressed on the OS CD.

SP2 was installed after the OS, so the source media was different for each
    installation.
    So the prompt is because the system knows which file was updated by SP2
    thus it prompts for the SP install cd when it needs the updated file.
    This is controlled by the layout.inf file.
    Does it fail when copying from across the network share as well?

Ryan Hanisco Guest

RE: Unable To Install Additional Windows Components

You make want to make a new CD (or installation point on your network) of
    your Windows Server media and slipstream the Service Pack into it so it'll
    have the correct version of files for whatever install you are doing. See
    directions at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/814847
    http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true

Thanks for your responses. Before trying the slipstream CD, I decided to reboot the server and try again, just based on the fact that every time I tried to install SNMP, the file it wanted was different.

Turns out the server reboot worked like a charm. After that, the install went without a hitch and didn't prompt for any file locations at all.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Re: Unable To Install Additional Windows Components

We had the same issue while trying to install DNS and WINS service on a Windows 2003 << Please insert the Compact Disk labeled 'Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition CD-ROM' into your CD-ROM driver (D:) and then click OK >>

Installing SP2, 150 add-on updates did not solve the issue of the disc jockey prompt.. until we found this thread.

Thank you Yeagermeister for your solution but a reboot between each file prompt is not needed. You just need to cancel when it ask again for the file then try again to install the service and cancel, try again, cancel, try gain 10 times ... until yes ... the service has been installed then a reboot and it's done !

Each time Windows ask for a different file it store the location of the new file and ask again for it... when you cancel and try again it will ask for the next file and so on.. until all files locations are found.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
    Guy Baconniere