Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to configure Windows 2003 as a Router ?

Re: How to configure Windows 2003 as a Router ?

Hi am new here and just saw the post above and hoped someone might be able to help even after all of these years since the previous post!

Sorry for brining this one back up from the past hope that is ok!

I have the setup as described by Bill Grant:

Internet
    |
    gateway router
    |
    servers
    10.1.1.x dg 10.1.1.254
    |
    10.1.1.250 dg 10.1.1.254
    RRAS/NAT
    192.168.31.254 dg blank
    |
    LAN machines
    192.168.31.x dg 192.168.31.x

But I can only get one thing to work at a time, by that I mean.

LAN machines (192.168.x.x) have internet access and can access 10.x.x.x machines BUT... 10.x.x.x machines cannot access 192.168.x.x machines

or

10.x.x.x machines can access 192.168.x.x machines BUT 192.168.x.x machines don't have internet access.

I have altered settings and either end up with nothing or the above, would someone be able to point me in the direction so I can get both (machines on either side of the router can access internet and all machines?

Many many thanks...

Richard

P.s. I have even added a 3rd NIC to set that for NAT and to be honest it worked for a bit then when I rebooted a sever on the 192.168.x.x LAN it stopped!

Hi Tappers,

Can you try to go to wireless connection properties and check the TCP/IP properties cause it sounds like could be a DNS issue. Are IP and DNS servers both chosen to select automatically? If not, try that.

Hi Zachary,

Thanks for the reply.

I do not think it is wireless as it is in a virutal environment to setup a test network for development testing etc.

The addresses on the 192.168.x.x network are static as I have only setup one server for this environment so far and wanted to utilise an existing Server 2003 server for the routing if possible.

I will check on the DNS side of things though.

I am giving this reply here, because it matches to the query. I had used this steps to configure my server as router. For that you will need to first start RRAS. You can found that under Administrative Tools. Right click on the server to the left side and choose configure. Then click on Enable Routing And Remote Access. Follow the screen wizard.You can choose Custom Configuration to add your settings. Choose Lan Routing and then finish the process.

Tablita,

Thanks for the reply.

I have done exactly that and I still can't get it to work!

I am really unsure what I am going wrong, especially as I have just setup a Vyatta router for another environment and it works perfectly.

but I really would prefer to be able to use the Win Server box for this one.

My brain is now in stubborn mode and I just want to find out what I am missing a I have tried it before and never got it fully working.

Thanks again.

Just tried this setup again with Windows box to find massive inconsistencies.

I have disabled RRAS each time thinking that that would wipe the config but I am not convinced this is the case!

Now I am completely unable to get it back to having any sort of connectivity between the networks with the Windows as a router. Yet Vyatta works pretty much instantly every time!

I really want to understand this and getting working but I cannot see where I am going wrong.

Everything I have found on the web just says enable RRAS, select custom, choose LAN Routing option.

I feel at this point there must be a different version of Windows that that works on as it doesn't on Server 2003 Standard but am sure that is just frustration as I am desperate to get this working.

Am going to try and erase Server 2003 and re-install to see if that helps!

I also fear that I have made so many changes to the current setup I don't know which way is up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Have you tried searching this forums for some similar kind of topics made, check suggestions given in this following threads - http://forums.techarena.in/windows-s...lp/1173953.htm
    Windows 2003 Server as a LAN to LAN router problem
    configure windows 2003 as router OR router on our LAN?

Thanks Janos

I have seen some of those posts and there are similarities in my setup especially where Bill Grant replies with

Internet
    |
    gateway
    192.168.1.1 {static route 192.168.5.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.122}
    |
    LAN clients
    192.168.1.x dg 192.168.1.1
    |
    192.168.1.122 dg 192.168.1.1
    RRAS
    192.168.5.12 dg blank
    |
    clients
    192.168.5.x dg 192.168.5.12

The intersting item I note here is the the addition of a static route on the internet router/gateway. The problem here is I am with (what I believe to be!) the counrtys crappest ISP in existance for many reasons but also because they don't let you change your broadband router for (again what I believe to be) no reason other than to be as difficult as possible! Meaning I cannot add the static route to my router at the internet / gateway end.

Part of me would wonder if that was what was causing the problem but....

Why does the Vyatta setup work?

To me there is something that I am not doing that is not contained within the forums or Windows RRAS has bugs and doesn't work fully and that would therefore explain the inconsistent results even when definately doing the same tasks resulting in a system that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Thanks again for all of the assistance but I fear I am getting to the stage that I just believe RRAS doesn't fully work in every situation even when the routes are correct and everything it setup correctly it doesn't work which is sad.

Setup new server 2003 with RRAS and 2 nics and now I have it working for both sides I can access each servers.

Only thing now would be how to enable internet access for 192.168.x.x lan?

any ideas?

Can you go to “My Network Places” properties, and then select your connection.After that right click and select Advanced tab, and check “Allow other network users to connect through this computer" internet connection” and uncheck below two options. Now press “OK” button. This will give you a message stating that IP address of present working PC will be set to “192.168.0.1”, click OK.

Thanks Super Cop,

My only issue with your suggestion is that I want to have a dc to provide DHCP in the 192.168.x.x lan.

Also, I couldn't find the options to uncheck below, I thought that was more for XP Professional and Windows 7 rather than Server 2003 or have I got it wrong?

Many thanks

DirtyWilly Guest

Bill Grant, if you are still around...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I've been over so many books and materials and they never explain the exact details on how to set that up. You've solved years of pain thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12