Thread: Cannot copy FILE: The specified network name is no longer available

Paul Kus Guest

Cannot copy FILE: The specified network name is no longer available

Hi;

I'm faced with a very frustrating problem. While copying files from a windows 2003 standard server to a windows XP sp2 workstation I keep getting "Cannot copy FILE: The specified network name is no longer available". I can't copy anything bigger than 200MB. I've eliminated the physical network components from being a problem. The only thing I'm left with is XP sp2 with all security updates. It's a fresh re-installation of the OS... and it did not make a difference. If I copy the same file from the same server using FTP, it works fine... so it seems to be related to "windows networking".

any ideas?

Thanks
    Paul Kus

Robert L [MS-MVP] Guest

Re: Cannot copy FILE: The specified network name is no longer available

I would check the hardware settings first. or check this link for more details. specified network name is not longer available. System error 64 - "The specified network name is no longer available". System error 53. "The network path was not found". Event ID 3013 - Description:The .... .

I'm faced with a very frustrating problem. Whan copying files from a windows 2003 standard server to a windows XP sp2 workstation I keep getting "Cannot copy FILE: The specified network name is no longer available". I can't copy anything bigger than 200MB. I've eliminated the physical network components from being a problem. The only thing I'm left with is XP sp2 with all security updates. It's a fresh re-installation of the OS... and it did not make a difference. If I copy the same file from the same server using FTP, it works fine... so it seems to be related to "windows networking".

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Paul Kus

There are few things which you can try out to fix the issue. You can try first pinging the other system. To do that find the IP address and then ping. If you are getting response then the system is active if not then you have to see the connection status. Boot your system in safe mode with networking and try back the file copy process. If it works then there can be some applications causing in the normal mode. It can be the antivirus or any other security software. Try to turn it off and try once again. It is essential that you must get low ping. Check the dns properly.

Disable file sharing first. Then enable it back again. The system must be visible in the network. This is a direct issue of connectivity. Your system is not able to communicate with the other one. This can also be a kind of file permission issue. You have to re-verify everything properly. Check the connection and other stuff and see everything is working fine or not. If not then disable all the settings and enable the same back again. Add a shorter file folder name without any space in the name and then map the drive on My Computer. This is the easiest way to fix the issue.