Thread: All shares on a cluster are good..but one!

All shares on a cluster are good..but one!

Greetings everyone!

I have a Win2003 Standard Server cluster for file sharing. Had an event that took the shares offline. All were brought back except one. It shows failed in the cluster administrator. All sharing was off but we added all groups back who had previous rights. Still shows a failure. We got it working on one server but cannot float as the share goes offline.

Has anyone had this experience? If so, how did you fix it?

If this has been answered here previously, please direct me to that thread.

My thanks in advance!

OldITGuy

Re: All shares on a cluster are good..but one!

What was that event id, can you let us know? What kind of error messages you are getting, please describe it in full. In the meantime, have a look at the ms article on "Error message when you use the Cluster Administrator to bring the SQL Server full-text search resource online: "SQL Cluster Resource 'Full Text' failed" from here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304282

Thanks for responding, Einstein!

The first event ID encountered was 1209: Cluster service is requesting a bus reset for device \Device\ClusDisk0.

The event ID for the share in question was 1068: Cluster file share resource stuff$ failed to start with error 5.

All of the shares that were offline were brought online without trouble except for the one listed. In Computer Mgmt, under System Tools..Shares the share shows up but you can't open it.

This is a first for me!! Thanks for that link, I read it last night before I created my account here.

Can you try to grant NTFS read permissions to the service account that is being used by the cluster server on all of the shared folders. Check here for more information - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269137

Thanks to everyone who responded. What we did to remedy this was to create another share with a different name, granted it the same permissions & rights as the original. Then move everything to the new one. Rename the old share to a different name then rename the new share to the old name. Everything is back online now.

Again, I appreciate Einstein_007 & James 911!