Thread: How to increase the performance of Windows Server 2008

How to increase the performance of Windows Server 2008

I am just stuck with a new kind of issue on my network. I had recently configure a server on my system. It is Windows Server 2008. It is working extremely slow. I am not able to get the performance output here. When I login to the server it takes long time to show the desktop. The same is more slower on remote connectivity. It is having Exchange Server, Forefront Protection, etc. There are also some couple of internal websites using php and mysql. Can anyone here simply help me how to get more performance out of this slow system.

Re: How to increase the performance of Windows Server 2008

Just launch Task Manager. Go to the Performance section and see what you find there. In that verify the cpu and ram usage. If that is high then you have to find the associated service in Processes. You can click on that file and look for the associated application which is causing the problem. Just get rid of that.

What is the hardware configuration of your server system. I think this issue can be due to low hardware also. Just do one thing. Try to upgrade your memory and see. I hope that would add more to the performance. The other things which can cause major fall back in the system performance is slow lan network and slow hard drive. I had seen this in ample of network. In my office on the pc where server was installed the output was poor. I tried many things to fix the issue. The last thing I found is issue with the hadr drive. It was a low rpm drive plus there were ample of bad sectors on the same. I used HDDTest here to find out the performance issue and it showed me major problem with it. And after replacing the same, things went back to normal. The performance output here is more better and appropriate. I am able to get a proper output from the same. It is also necessary that you must turn of those services which are not required. Or else such problem can be common and there is nothing you can do to fix it. There are some set of things that you can use to troubleshoot the system. You can just make a checklist and follow those one by one.

I am giving you a download link below. This link offers you a guide that will help you to tuneup the performance of Windows 2008 R2 server. There are some nice set of options available here which are quiet helpful and works really well. It is recommended that you must just go through the guide one.

Performance Tuning Guidelines for Windows Server 2008 R2

If you are facing issue with login then the problem lies with DNS. It is recommended that you must once check the dns configuration and test it back. I think that will be more than enough to resolve the issue. I can here offer you some set of tips which will be simply more helpful in fixing the performance issue. First we will go with the hardware config. The server hardware must have a dual core or quad core processor. That is important. If it is low on the processing power then the output will be greatly affected. The memory must be 4GB atleast. And ample of time I had seen people upgrade to a high speed pci lan card for the server system for great output. Before configuring the network it is recommended that you must run a test system first. Which will be more better. A test system gives you information on all the problems faced before. Some things you can do here is use a dedicated server for Terminal Server task. You have to properly check the third party software you are using on the server. Verify that they are compatible and will not cause performance issue. If the page file is higher then it means your internet memory sticks are not capable of handling the output. Reduce all unwanted graphic output here.

I will recommend you to download that guide and test it first. That is more better. The guide has a list of great options to deal with performance issue here and it works fine. The guide shows you option for Tuning the server hardware, networking, storage, file server, etc. Everything is separately mentioned and you can go with the one you are facing issue.