Thread: How to install Windows home server 2011 on Thecus N5200

How to install Windows home server 2011 on Thecus N5200

I have had to create to do through no home server to store the entire my stuff, or have comprised the benefit of daily C: backups for the entire my Windows apparatus. I had all my media stored nearby on my main system, and backed it up weekly to my trusty Thecus N5200. I read anywhere that it is probable to hack these things to run a to some extent additional powerful Linux, when it unexpectedly struck me low power, 5 drives, diminutive and portable. The 600MHz CPU is stucking, other than damn. It's almost the entire I necessitate. So I did it, and according to my to some extent widespread Google, I imagine I am the first person to essentially succeed. So exclusive of auxiliary ado, I present to you my Thecus N5200 Windows Home Server in progress. How the heck did I do it. The motherboard and network cards are moderately stock standard Intel stuff, so that with the intention of to facilitate not a worry the biggest concern was the custom SATA controller which is it appears that a Marvell MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller. Fortunately, this chip is utilized on the Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8. I have contained where to acquire this driver commencing from the list of other hardware components needed.

Re: How to install Windows home server 2011 on Thecus N5200

On the motherboard, you have to eliminate the big Thecus N5200_RJ45 board that to facilitate and resides on top of the serial port, by attractive out the two screws, and cautiously pulling it towards you. You then place the DB15 HD connector onto the board, locating the entire those diminutive pins into the accurate holes. I had originated positioning the back row first, and then utilizing a small flathead screwdriver to assist adjusted the front row to slide in helped. Be certain not to accidently bend several of the diminutive pins out of shape. Tape it down commencing from side to side an some electrical tape, or endeavor position the VGA cable so it's not pulling on the DB15 connector too much. After that you have to eliminate the little 64MB or 256MB in the case of the Pro flash drive. Maintain it somewhere safe, just presently in case. If the entire goes well, they might not be needing it. At the same time as you are there, be sure to replace the RAM through a 512MB DIMM if you are stuck through the standard N5200 like me.

In this procedure you have to hook up the monitor and watch it boot. To create things easy, just presently have the one SATA drive in there moreover drive you desire SYS to be on. Hit DEL to enter into the BIOS, in order to modify the boot volume. Beneath Advanced the subsequent alternative, go to the boot order. You have to set the first to USB-CDROM, the second and third to Disabled, and make sure that permit other devices to boot or no matter what it's called is ENABLED. Connect your USB DVD drive, and go from side to side the customary motions of installing Home Server. Be certain to place the SATA drivers at least onto a USB thumb drive, and create certain it's unextracted you observe INF's and sys files, not one large ZIP. When Home Server setup complains it not be able to locate a hard drive, select Load Drivers, slap the USB drive in, and persist through the setup until finished. Be sure to load the NIC drivers on one occasion finished, and authenticate you be able to remote into the server via Remote Desktop, previous to pulling out the entire the cables and stuff, and placing the case back together the entire in excess off again.

In this I be able to get back to you all on how it essentially performs the SATA controller and gigabit ethernet be supposed to be moderately quick, other than the 600MHz CPU in the stock N5200 might hamper presentation. The N5200 Pro be supposed to alleviate those worries through the 1.5GHz processor, at least. I determine to be sure to report back on how unbearingly sluggish and painful it is. This page gave me the idea of utilizing the DB15 VGA connector, and in addition alerted me as to what type of drivers I would necessitate to give the impression of being for. An extremely pleasant illustration of an unsupported set-up. And I had attention my unsupported RAID card was incredible big. If you have comprised the N5200 Pro version or description Thecus you might replace the Celeron through a Pentium M, I had utilized 1,7GHz and replaced the RAM through 1GB chip, this creates all the dissimilarity. The display driver is Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME the drivers be able to be originated at Intel's download center. At present all I necessitate is to be capable have a number of funs through the Led panel.

I have just recently installed WHS2011 on my Thecus 7700Pro. For those who imagine this is almost certainly just a hack and crush exercise, I have comprised to say that I had purchased the Thecus 7700pro as an "out of the box" solution additional than subsequent to 12 months of often painful issues, to a certain extent than hitting the scrap heap exclusive of the drives the box has been given an innovative lease of life. Providentially, I am not one of those who are dependent on Drive Extender. And so WSH2011 suits me just presently extremely well.

Yes, there are problems through the WHS 2011 other than I actually do believe that to facilitate WHS 2011 derived commencing from the Server2008r2 it determine to be sustained and maintained by Microsoft from side to side to a future Windows 8 upgrade which is containing DE where it determine to ultimately shine. In several case, my issues through WHS 2011 are paltry compared to the problems I had through the Thecus firmware/software. The mods were extremely similar to those indicated by TLG Jajmz. I managed to locate an appropriate short commencing form the angled VGA DB15 from China (via Ebay) which has been arrived within a small number of days and extremely inexpensive. It fits completely was an extremely easy solder job and it sits in the back-panel as it might if it had been there as part of the innovative hardware. The DB15 was an extremely tight fit and I am sure it might have worked just presently as with no trouble taped down as opposed to being soldered in. The video is indispensable for BIOS entry and in addition needed for WHS 2011 configuration and appropriate management.

I had booted it from the WHS 2011 installation disk via a USB DVD drive I utilize through my laptops plugged in a rear USB socket so it’s picked up appropriately by the BIOS. The front USB’s were utilized for a USB keyboard and mouse the BIOS seems to be familiar with these via the front USB, other than not USB DVD via the front. I did have comprised an issue through the installation at first. The issue was that to facilitate my PATA drive at 30 GB was much smaller than the smallest amount 160 GB is essential by WHS2011. This is extremely easily resolved by placing a cfg.ini file on a USB Flash Drive. In this procedure you have to check the internet WHS 2011 installation on a small drive. The WHS 2011 takes up approximately 15 GB other than minimum limitations are set for superior reasons. The installation in addition appeared to have comprised an problem through my USB DVD drive others have comprised and seen a comparable predicament and so I had generated a USB Flash Drive installation disk effortlessly to locate instructions on the net if you are not convinced how to do this search for WHS 2011 bootable flash drive. The WHS 2011 installation DVD is roughly 4Gb, and so I had utilized an 8Gb Flash Drive I had to hand. I in addition placed the cfg.ini file in the root of the flash drive. On one occasion I would changed the BIOS to boot commencing from the USB Flash Drive, all went extremely smoothly.