Thread: Can anyone tell which sata controller I can use on WHS 2011

Can anyone tell which sata controller I can use on WHS 2011

I am giving the impression of being for an S-ATA PCIe controller so I be able to add additional hard disks. My motherboard which I am having is Asus P8H67-V just presently has 6 S-ATA ports obtainable and I might like 4 more. The 3 Gb/s might be okay additional than I prefer 6 Gb/s. I do not necessitate the RAID and desire to utilize the disks as simple volumes and let WHS sort it out. BE able to anybody tell which sata controller I be able to use on WHS 2011.

Re: Can anyone tell which sata controller I can use on WHS 2011

In this you be able to locate one through the Windows Server 2008 R2 drivers. Ideally it determined to have comprised and been tested and certified for utilize through that OS; you be able to locate a list of such apparatus in the Windows Server catalog. I thought I would share my experience upgrading commencing from WHS v1 to WHS 2011, optimistically assist others determining how to set theirs up as well, and learn from my mistakes or just presently information in sequence I gathered along the way. I am an experienced PC user, additional than not so to a great extent in networking or server storage. I have utilized the WHS v1 in view of the fact that not much subsequent to its inception, almost certainly sometime in early 2008. It's had its share of problems, additional than usually minor, and utilized it for PC backups, data storage, and media streaming. My biggest problem was the performance. Having a gigabit ethernet, it was just presently a shame that to facilitate the majority file transfers were limited to less than 25 MB/s, fraction of that I recognized to the WD Green drives. Well in view of the fact that I have comprised and started utilizing WHS 2011, using these similar 2TB WD Green drives, I had acquire consistent 80-100 MB/s read and write. Getting the appropriate setup required additional planning and headache than I expected, other than in the end I imagine it was a good choice.

My overall goal was to spend as diminutive money or no money utilizing components I previously had. I had sufficient hardware to organize a second server. Not a huge in upgrading in excess of my WHS v1 additional than still I imagine that it might be a superior choice. The final configuration I opted for uses WHS 2011 as my most important server and backup to WHS v1 through the folder duplication on for most important files. Why to utilize WHS v1. Well for the reason that it was obtainable and I did not have to fork in excess off more money for a four bay external NAS or general USB enclosure.

First of all, I promptly realized that I be familiar with a lot less regarding RAID than I thought I did. I had just presently figured, let's run a RAID 5 array, no issue. Well regardless of what I had read I did not desire to believe it, I learned the hard method that to facilitate WD Green drives are not premeditated to be utilized in several RAID configuration additional than RAID 1. Enterprise class drives are required for appropriate RAID configuration and utilize, which are cost prohibitive and in view of the fact that I had previously had 9 2TB green drives, and 2 1TB Green drives, I was not regarding to run out and invest $4000+ in enterprise class drives for appropriate RAID. At the same time as RAID 1 offers full redundancy exclusive of several fancy parity calculations, RAID 1 is in addition expensive for large amounts of data through a backup, in view of the fact that you necessitate three times the number of hard drives as data you are storing, two for the RAID mirror, and one for the backup.

At the same time as real-time redundancy might be great for the entire my data, subsequent to reading lots of posts commencing from experienced users and experts at an assortment of discussions had convinced me that to facilitate is not actually necessary for home use. Their reasoning is uncomplicated. The majority home users do not have sufficient data to require real-time redundancy, and the data that with the intention of to facilitate they do is frequently small and be able to be completed through a small RAID 1 setup, not to mention the majority likely a backup on their local PC if a server drive fails. I spent moderately a bit of time investigating three RAID strategies: utilize of a hardware RAID controller one commencing from side to side onboard processing, RAM, battery, utilizing Windows RAID, or a soft RAID controller which might be able to controls data, other than uses system CPU and RAM for RAID. None of them were attractive explanations. A true hardware controller was quite luxurious, starting at $450 for an 8 port alternative, not to mention probable timeout problems through lack of appropriate TLER in the WD Green drives. The Windows RAID might always be in Resynching mode through the massive drive volumes I would utilize, so data might by no means truly be 100% duplicated or safe, so kind of defeats the purpose.

My strategy resulted in utilizing Windows to manage the entire drive aspects. The Dynamic Drives are the amazing characteristic. On the WHS 2011 server, I have RAID 1 mirror for full redundancy of my DATA folders, i.e. files that to facilitate are of the majority significance to me. In view of the fact that my storage requirements here are small, presently not exceeding 500GB, two 2TB drives in RAID 1 be supposed to be satisfy my requirements for a number of time to come. My most significant data, similar to personal family photos, videos, tax documents, etc encompass less than 100GB and have that to facilitate backed up on two supplementary USB slim external hard drives that with the intention of I store at my parents house through occasional backups irregular the drives back and forth when I visit every after 5 to 6 months.