Thread: Is it possible to upgrade Lenovo IdeaCentre D400 to WHS 2011

Is it possible to upgrade Lenovo IdeaCentre D400 to WHS 2011

Does anyone know about the compatibility info of Lenovo IdeaCentre D400 home server? I have been using it from the past several months. It is running at 64bit Atom processor. I wanted to upgrade this system to WHS 2011 but when I click on the setup.exe, it shows me an error saying that system type mismatch. I really don’t have any idea about this error and why this has occurred in my case only. My friends are also using somewhat similar Home server with same processor and they have successfully updated to the WHS 2011. Is there any obvious reason for this issue?

Re: Is it possible to upgrade Lenovo IdeaCentre D400 to WHS 2011

As far as I know that the Lenovo IdeaCentre D400 home server does not meet the minimum requirements for Windows Home Server 2011. You must know about it and it is mandatory for the upgrade or installation. The minimum requirements published by the Microsoft is as follows:
    • Everyone must know that Windows Home Server 2011 is a 64-bit only operating system
    • You can install this OS or server software either manually or unattended.
    • You will at least need a 1.4 GHz x64 processor, 2 GB RAM and 60 GB hard drive.
    • It supports only one file system and that is NTFS
    • The system or server must be connected to the network via network cable to a router.
    • You should have an UPnP-certified server but sometimes it is not required
    • The router should me in the 192.168.x.x subnet but it is not recommended.

You have to do slight modification in your computer in order to install or run Windows Home server 2011. The modification may include some software related updates or Hardware updates. The very first modifications I can tell is about removing the 1GB DIMM and add a 2GB DIMM. You also need to disable the hard blocking on system requirements. For that you must need an Answer File to Install and configure without any issue. Ask Microsoft for an Answer file. I am quite sure that it is possible with this but you have to find help from someone who have already achieved success with it.

I would also rather suggest searching for feedback from experience fellows who have achieved this success on the Acer H340. I think that it is a basically a same machine with somewhat similar configuration. Other than this WHS v1 HP MediaSmart Home Servers can also handle and run WHS 2011. if all these Home server are capable to run WHS 2011, then I would think that the Lenovo Ideacenter is no far behind from these. I assume that it is just a small problem which is causing the installation. That’s it.

What model you are still using, it is an updated model or still an old model? As far as I know that there are 2 models: D400 – 30131BU and D400 – 30131DU. One you can find on the Lenovo site and other one I have seen in Amazon. Sometimes older version of BIOS does not allow you to install the WHS 2011 since it denote that system is incompatible to run this OS. So due this it simply ignores the installation and does not allow you to run the setup file in any manner. So if you have chance to update the BIOS, then try to flash it with the latest version and then go for the installation once again. I hope that this time you will get success at least.

Everyone know that the process of Windows Home server 2011 installation is little bit tricky because of its distinct nature and because it is not sometime like other Windows Oss. First example is, it cannot install if your system does not have a 160GB of hard disk space. You can either choose DVD ROM or USB for WH server 2011 installation. When you boot from it, you will see a usual Windows startup screen.
    • Then it is redirected to the installation setup wizard. There you have to select New Installation.
    • In the next window check the checkbox saying “I understand that if I click install all files and folders on my primary hard drive will be deleted”. Click Install to continue.
    • The installation process starts and system will restart several times
    • Once all regular installation steps completes, you will see a setup page for country/region, time and currency type and keyboard layout
    • Also a date and time settings (verification) and the terms and conditions and also server name as well as password.
    • Finally a wizard prompt you for Windows update. After all this, settings start to take effect and it may last for nearly 30 minutes). This time also system reboots few times and it will load WHS 2011.