Thread: Windows server 2003 DNS not resolving

Windows server 2003 DNS not resolving

I have comprised a 2 Active Directory servers. I had disconnected the most important Server and DNS times importune on utilizing it. In the other Server run ping itambe.net and it declaration to 172.16.3.124 at present the first Server is off. Later I run the similar command and it resolves to 172.16.3.1 additional Server. Make sure out the delineation. This issue is creating the logon script itambe.net\NETLOGON\script_logon.bat does not run when the declaration positions to the server with the intention of is turned off.

Re: Windows server 2003 DNS not resolving

If I understand your quire accurately, you are saying to facilitate when you turn off the most important DNS, clients containing the additional one tranquil attempt to utilize it to resolve the domain name. This is for the reason that the primary and secondary DNS servers have encompassed and registered name server records in the itambe.net forward operation zone. Even although the primary might be offline, it is tranquil registered as a name server and clients determine to attempt to utilize it.

The Name resolution runs a bit later for the reason that the essential has timed out for the clients inaugurated the domain lookup, and they are at present utilizing the secondary. If the primary DNS server determine to by no means be obtainable the entire in excess off again, you necessitate to eliminate its NS record from the forward lookup zone.

If this box is in addition a DC, and you be able to, I would recommend plugging the box back in, demoting it without graciousness and eliminating DNS commencing from it. This determine to eliminate the NS record, SRV records, etc. If the box is dead, remove the entire references to the server containing SRV records commencing from the zone, and in addition do not forget to do a metadata cleanup.

I am anxious of disaster occurs to the Primary Server and my team be able to not eliminate the NS records. No, I do not be familiar with of several method to basically automate it. I am assuming you are utilizing Windows DNS server. You have encompassed not said if these servers are DCs. If they are, and you are utilizing AD-integrated DNS, mutually these servers might be primary and make available you through fault tolerance though there determine to tranquil be a time when clients logging on will still try to hit the accessibility name server primary.

You might manually eliminate the NS record for the primary, additional than you would have encompassed to be certain to reboot to facilitate server or at least stop / start NETLOGON to make sure it re-registers its NS record.

The 2 are Domain Controllers commencing from side to side the DNS integrated. Installed as supplementary Secondary Server. Please help me how do I create it primary. Commencing from side to side 2 Primary Servers assume they determine to balance the requests, ok. I forgot to mention to facilitate these 2 servers in addition make available DHCP and NTP service.

Additional than I have comprised and delegated the administration of these servers and I have encompassed no experience through or by means of these technologies I am waiting to acquire the course to learn regarding them. The result of commnand nslookup -type=ns itambe.net. The C:\Documents and Settings\cyro>nslookup -type=ns itambe.net. I am not be able to locate the server name for address 172.16.3.1: Non-existent domain Server: mysterious Address: 172.16.3.1 itambe.net nameserver = adserver.itambe.net.