Thread: Deleted File Redirected Files

Deleted File Redirected Files

Win2k domain
    WinXP Pro and Win7 Pro

First off, had 2 servers, one Win2k AdvSvr and one Win2k Svr with GPO with file redirection for "My Documents" and "Desktop" with no problems, and DFS.

Added third server Win2kSvr and everything crapped out. Permissions to folders and files, where files where stored, etc. Everything. Had to remove GPO and DFS.

On WinXp boxes, had to force policy to all workstations and delete all profiles, recreate all profiles because file redirection was still occurring. After recreating profiles, no problems. Just no file redirection nor DFS. Not a problem, made network share for users and instructed users on how to save to it.

On Win7 boxes, folders were redirected to local folders, but no access allowed to them, and files no longer on server. Can not delete profiles, because I do not know where the files are at, but my users can not access their files. What can I do to get access to these folders/files? And, are they still there or not?

Re: Deleted File Redirected Files

Just check once that you had enabled the Shadow Copy service on Windows Server. You have to check this in the place where the redirected folders are located. Shadow copy is an services in Windows Server which allows you to restored the deleted folders on the network. So if that is enabled you have to stop it and then the problem can be fixed. You can search the same on Previous Version tab of Folders.

Re: Deleted File Redirected Files

Thanks for the reply. I will have to look into that. One question. Is that option available with Win2k AdvSvr? I am pretty sure that that is with Win2003 Server and up.

As a side note, there are more issues that just this folder redirection. Come to find out that there is a "bug"/"flaw" with Win7 boxes. With in the 3 months that I have added them to the domain, they have lost all permissions to act on the network. Granted they still get DNS and DHCP from the Win2k Server, but no access to any other resources on the domain. M$ says to spend the money to buy new software.