Thread: Win server 2008 remoteapp

Win server 2008 remoteapp

Hello, I have an issue a has me beaten.
    Scenario
    Windows 2008 server SP2 (x64) SP2 , TS licenced and activated. Stand alone server in workgroup.
    10 User Cals (not being exceeded)
    Publishing an application via remoteapp, available to users over the internet
    Remotapp uses certificate and connects over port 443
    Problem
    At infrequent and irregular intervals (average twice a day), users complain that they have been disconnected and cannot reconnect.
    No messages in the logs on the server or on the remote PC's
    RDP over 3389 still works
    Users (call centre) compliance requirements only allow connection over port 443
    Fix is to login to server and recycle WWWPS service (World Wide Web Publishing Service), which also recycles TS Gateway service.
    Hotfix 358076 installed, seemed to fix it, worked for 6 days without needing intervention, but then it started again.
    I know there's very little info in this, but I have no idea where to look.
    Any help would be very much appreciated, because the remoteapp users work from 0800 to 2300 7 days.
    Thank you
    Last edited by saliml; 26-09-2010 at 04:19 PM.

Re: Win server 2008 remoteapp

Hello,

I am experiencing a similar issue that you describe here. Did you ever resolve the issue?

Our Issue:
    We are hosting a RemoteApp on a Windows 2008R2 - 64bit server and users sometimes cannot reconnect to the RemoteApp after they have exited the application. When they attempt to reconnect to the RemoteApp the RDC session shows connected in the Remote Desktop Services Manager (on the server) but the users experiences a black screen within the RemoteApp window and the application never appears. We have never experienced this issue using straight RDC; it only happens with the RemoteApp. Users access the RemoteApp via Windows XP SP3 with Remote Destop Client 6.1.7600. The client RDP settings are set to map, printers, ports, and other local resources needed for the duration of the remote session.

We also have drive mapping issues with certain shares (2008 R2 accessing 2003 R2 shares via SMB) and that is a known issue stated in the following Microsoft article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2194664/en-us

I am curious if the SMB issue stated in that article is related to the RemoteApp issue we are experiencing as well. I am going to install the Hotfix and hope that it corrects both issues we are experiencing.

Thanks for any help or advice anyone may have on this topic!!!
    Last edited by chrismc; 27-04-2011 at 09:17 PM.

Re: Win server 2008 remoteapp

Hello, we ended up having to call Microsoft support, but they have been looking at this since October, and as yet have no answers. We've been with the "Escalated response" team in the states for the last 2 months, but still no joy.
    We have no mapped drives or shared devices on the server, so if you are experiencing the same problem, then the fix may resolve your mapping issue, but possibly not the TS issue.
    We've put a scheduled IIS reset to run 45 minutes before they start work in the morning, so the first call we ususally get is about 9.30am, then the second failure is just after 6pm
    We've done hat loads of diagnostics for each team, but still no joy.
    Unfortunately not much help or advice, but I will update this if I ever get an answer.
    Fortunately we can run the IISreset from RDP sessions on our phones so it's not much of an overhead, just really really annoying being woken up on Sunday morning !
    Thank you.