Thread: NAT problem using Routing and Remote access

NAT problem using Routing and Remote access

Hello can someone help pls because I have configured NAT with one network card as the internet interface with ip address 192.168.0.50 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254 192.168.0.254 which is directly connected to an always on router connected to the internet. The other interface is set up as the intranet interface with ip address 192.168.3.1 255.255.255.0 configured also as a DHCP server on the 192.168.3.xx

The problem is that from another pc I can get the ip from the DHCP but I cannot browse the internet and neither ping the 192.168.0.254

Any suggestions pls ?

the client ip address from dhcp are 192.168.3.102 255.255.255.0 192.168.3.1 192.168.3.1

Newell White Guest

RE: NAT problem using Routing and Remote access

When you ping 192.168.0.254 from a DHCP client does it fail with time-out,
    or "destination host unreachable"?

What is result of "route print" command on that client?

The RRAS server with 2 NICs should not be a DC, search for "double homed"
    +"windows dc" for voluminous info on this.

Hello now I have changed the setup as how I was setup it was too much confusing and not the way how it is supposed to be.

Now I have setup a demand dial interface PPOE and have set it up as the Public interface connected to the internet. I am able to connect but it did not add automatically the default route to the pc routing table and had to add it manually. After addding the default route manually I was able to browse the internet from the same pc. Now tomorrow I will add another nic card to set it up as the Private Interface connected to the private network and check if from the directly connected pc I will be able to browse the internet using NAT. At the moment under Routing and Remoter Acces, IPV4 and NAT all I have is the Demand Dial Interface and another interface named Internal which I do not now if I can delete or not. Tomorrow I will add the nic card connected to the internal network and hopefully it will work. Any information or correction is appriciated

Also why is it a problem if Routing and Remote acces server is installed on a domain controller and will it affect if the other pc connected to the internal network which I will setup is not joined to the domain and just logged in as Administrator. Should the other pc be logged in to the DC to have NAT which is set up on the DC to work or it will work regardless if it is logged in or not ?

ok it worked fine the only thing wrong is that the PPOE connection once established it only gives me a public ip address with a subnet of 255.255.255.255 we an empty gateway, for this reason I think that a default route is not being created and it does not appear whn I type route print from the pc.

Any idea on how this can automatically be added to the routing table since the ip will change daily.

What I need it to do is very simple, I need that once the ppoe connection is established I am able to browse the internet. This is not happening since as I explained the default route is not being created automatically for some reason or another. I have to manually enter route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 public_ip_address

Understand my point

Bill Grant Guest

Re: NAT problem using Routing and Remote access

Don't worry about the internal interface. It has nothing to do with NAT.
    It is used as the connection point for remote access clients (RAS or VPN).

Bill Grant Guest

What more do you want it to do? If the server has a PPPoE connection to
    your ISP, you do not need to know or care what that address is. It is simply
    an Internet connection. It does not need a default gateway because it has a
    point-to-point connection to your ISP.

NAT will allow other machines on the network to share that connection. They
    do not need to know what its address is or what routes it has. If the server
    can reach the Internet, NAT will allow LAN machines to reach the Internet.

Bill Grant Guest

Set up a demand-dial interface to establish the PPPoE connection. Link
    your static route to the dd interface using the New Static Route wizard. It
    will be applied when you connect.

In NAT, use the demand-dial interface as the public interface connected
    to the Internet.

Dear you ,
    for making the client go to the internet you have to do followings :

1) on the client(s) : set default gateway to 192.168.3.1 (NAT intranet IP)
    2) on the NAT Server in the "RRAS" Console " NAT and Basic firewall " branch add you NAT ' Private Nic ( the one with this ip 192.168.3.1) .
    be sure that you have enabled NAT on you your public interface ( 192.168.0.50)
    and

Yes I completely agree with Bill grant