Thread: Group Policy lock down

Group Policy lock down

I want to apply group policy to a laptop that I own but it will never be on the domain. I have already searched for the Doug security console and steady state utility and both of them dont give me appropriate results at all. I checked out a Microsft kb article 293655 which actually applies to Windows 2000 but this is not working on Windows XP with service pack 2 that I have.

Re: Group Policy lock down

You can try to assign the Deny permission to the Administrators group for the C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy folder. When you log in with a local account no user setting GPOs will be applied. But since you can set the GPOs for the user locally and Windows XP has some support for having mulitple local GPOs. You can then try to start mmc.exe and then add the local group policy editor and while adding it, you can select to apply the GPO settings for the specific user on that computer.

You can also try to use use Software Restriction Policies with AppLocker. AppLocker is a complete revision of the software restriction policies that are introduced in Windows. You cannot use AppLocker to manage the software restriction policy settings. AppLocker rules are only enforced on computers that are running Windows. For more information visit this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036