Thread: Deny Logon Locally

Deny Logon Locally

We have a Domain in our Office running with Windows Server 2003. There is a user whom I don’t want to see the domain hence I added his account to Deny Logon Locally under:

Local Computer Policy>Computer Configurations>Windows Settings>Security Settings>Local Polices>User Rights Assignment>Deny Logon Locally
    After doing this surprisingly I am not able to login neither with my user account or the Administrator account. I tried to revert back but nothing is working. Somebody please help me to get logged in to the system.

Re: Deny Logon Locally

I think you can easily log into the local Administrator account by booting into Safe Mode.

Thanks for the help buddy but it is not working in Safe Mode as well. Somebody also suggested me to boot the system in Recovery Console and reset the users profile using ntrights.exe. But unfortunately recovery console does not recognize ntrights.exe as well. Anything else you can suggest?

I found a Microsoft Article describing the solution for this where you can put your Hard drive in some another windows computer. Before we can start the process, first of all create a backup copy of the contents of \windows\system32\config from the damaged system. Now go to Start, click Run, type REGEDIT, press Enter. click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and then select Load Hive from the File Menu. Select the file named "system" from the folder \windows\system32\config on the damaged system. Name the key xxx (or whatever, doesn't matter really).

Here click the xxx key, you will find Setup key there, click the same as well and change its setupType to 2. Now change the CmdLine to cmd.exe and restart the original system. This time you will be greeted with a command window using which you can run ntrights or gpedit.msc.

I know this thread is old, but i want to thank you.

You saved my live! THANK YOU :)

PS: Yes, this method works very well on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Thank you Harry Johnston

I Saved my system by following your way.