Thread: What is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

What is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

I was testing my PC since last three days and found that when windows\system32\svchost.exe is running and using my Internet connection, I wasn’t able to browse internet. And when I kill it my internet works fine. I did some searches on internet and found many people saying it is a virus whereas few says its not a virus.

In order to confirm it I ran my Norton Antivirus but it wasn’t able to detect it. So if it is not a virus why am not able to use internet when it is running? Somebody please help.

RE: What is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

Who said it is a Virus? Dude, its not any virus, in fact it is one of the moist important files of Microsoft. You should not block it at all. As far as your internet is concerned am sure that would be some another reason for the same because this svchost.exe use to run everytime with your computer whether your system is connected to internt or not, so this couldn’t be the problem.

Re: What is C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe

My problem is that antivirus softwware can't seem to go past this file. it scans until it hits it and then says an error has occured so I am not able to scan the rest of my computer as i do not have the option to skip that particular file.

Any ideas or help regarding how to replace the file/fix it or what might be happening?

I am running windows xp. When i boot i get a message, can not find system 32 svshost.exe. I will appreciate any help in correcting this problem. thanks

Chastwo

Quote Originally Posted by Chasetwo View Post
    I am running windows xp. When i boot i get a message, can not find system 32 svshost.exe. I will appreciate any help in correcting this problem. thanks

Chastwo
    First of, if you are not able to find the svchost.exe in this folder C:/WINDOWS/System32 then it might be removed to another location, so try to copy it back to the same folder. If this svchost.exe file is not available in your system then you can try to copy the file from another pc with the same version of Windows operating system to your computer.