Thread: 0x424 (WIN32: 1060) in Enterprise Root CA

0x424 (WIN32: 1060) in Enterprise Root CA

Hello, Quiet some months whenever I am trying to open Certification Authority MMC, I am getting a error message "The specified service does not exist as an installed service 0x424(WIN32:1060)". Even I tried to check it in Add/Remove Program, all flags were enabled for Certificate Authority options. But its not working I am not sure, Can you please help me ? Even I tried searching it on the web but no luck.

Re: 0x424 (WIN32: 1060) in Enterprise Root CA

When you are trying to look at service using services.msc it must be show the service certificate Service. It must start with automatic startup type. Check your event views are getting any errors or warnings, this may help you to resolve the problem. I would suggest you to uninstall certificate service and reinstall it again with the same CA key, I have never faced such kind of problem. Even I would suggest you to take a backup of CA certificate/private key and certificates database. You won't be able to use MMC snapin for CA, you need to do it with certutil command line tool, as shown in the below link. Certificate service need to be started in order to back up the certificate DB, of the certificates the CA has issued.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...0a1b489fb.mspx

Appy,

I have checked the service Certificate Services is not present in my service.msc. But in Add/Remove Program all flags are enabled for Certificate Authority option as I already said. IIS CA enrollment site browse able but its not working too. I cannot see any error or warning in Event Viewer. Can you suggest what other methods I can try ?

Well if you certificate is not present under Certificate Authority I can there is something wrong. I would suggest you to take a backup of your Certificate Authority before problem arise, so that you can restore it at least. By the time you can try other method run your System File checker as in SFC/Scannow in case your critical system files are missing. You can uninstall add/remove programs windows components and try re installing your certificate Authority, with your same certificate/private key as your already using to backup your current certificate key for the CA.

Make sure you take a full backup of your current CA as a Ghost Image, if you repair operation delete some files from your system, so you can at least start over from where you are now. Even please check the below link for more assistance.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...j_mcs_kobd.asp
    OR
    http://tinyurl.com/bq3ee
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=298138

Hi everyone and especially Sergio Minniti,

I'm really interested in your solution for this topic, since it was never posted here. Because I'm now faced with the same for one of our customers and it's not even possible to reinstall the certificate authority via add/remove software. So i get the same error when opening the mmc for certificates and when i want to reinstall I'm getting an error like:

Code:
    Beim Erstellen des Schlüsselcontainers "namemeinerzertifizierungsstelle" für die Zertifikatdienste ist ein Fehler aufgetreten. Die Konfiguration des Kryptografiedienstanbieters ist entweder nicht vollständig oder die Schlüssellänge wird nicht unterstützt. Stellen Sie sicher, dass der Kryptografiedienstanbieter richtig installiert wurde oder wählen Sie einen anderen Kryptografiedienstanbieter. 
    Zugriff verweigert 0x80070005 (WIN32: 5)
    Sorry for the German one. But i hope the Error-Code says it all.

If anyone got any Idea, i would be gratefull! Thanks in advance.

Greets
    Andrew