Thread: Looking for some lightweight security tools for Windows 7

Looking for some lightweight security tools for Windows 7

My uncle has a ultrabook. It is running on Windows 7. I got the laptop to use it for free for some months. I am going to it use it for my project work. Now I am looking for some set of lightweight security tools by which I can keep my system more secure. I had recently formatted it and installed everything back. There was virus on it due to which it was working very slow. For antivirus I am using F Secure on it. Now I need additional tools like usb guard, or password manager, or any other tools that can help me to protect my data and windows.

Re: Looking for some lightweight security tools for Windows 7

I think if you use a good antivirus then you do not need anything. F-Secure can be a kind of complete protection. You just have to take care while using a pen drive or any other thing in the system. Like scan your usb or removable drive before copying file from the same.

With your existing antivirus install Microsoft Security Essential and CCleaner. MSE is a good free antivirus that works lightly on the background. It is also a good anti-spyware. It works well with any other antivirus in your system. The second tool is CCleaner. It is a nice cleaner tool that can simply scan your pc for unwanted files and clean your pc. I am using this constantly to wipe out system registry and other web history. It works really well. Another thing that you must keep in your system is a good Disk Defragmentation software. Disk Defragger tools are good to improve the system performance. You can use them to organize your files and make the output more better. The internal disk deframentation software in Windows 7 is more basic. It is not having a proper output. I am not able to find a complete pack of tools that can offer me everything. Like a system cleaner, or disk defragger. You have to install them separately and use it when needed. It is also necessary that you keep on updating your system. Regular antivirus update makes your system secure for ample of external threats..

I am using a disc image tool. Called as Norton Ghost. It is a nice tool that helps you create a system image and you can instantly restore your windows in case of problem. Windows 7 itself has a system recovery feature in Backup and Recovery section. Keep a system image in your system. It saves a lot time at the time of restoration.

Keeping some bootable antivirus scanner with you is great. You can scan th same at the time of problem. There are ample of antivirus in the market which offers you a bootable scanning options. You just need to burn them on a DVD and keep it with your system. A number of time some threats skips the antivirus scanning. They are not usually detected. Through a bootable scanner you can scan your system more completely and make your job easier. There is one more tool called as ESET Rogue Applications Remover. You can use this one also for finding out fake applications in your system. Always keep this in your system and scan your system on regular interval. Ample of time we install toolbar or some applications in our pc which adds more additional applications through the setup itself. By using the rogue application scanner you can get rid of them. System cleaners are easy to find compare to this one. And for your data protection you can use one more tool which is called as Encryption Wizard. Through this you can lock your files an avoid unwanted access.

For usb protection there are two tools. First one is Kasperksy USB Scanner and the second one is Free USB Guard. Both tools works fine. The first one simply starts scanning the usb when you connect it. While the second one has more features. You run the scan and add settings to shutdown pc automatically. This works fine.

There are many things which we have to check to protect our pc. One of them is Keylogger. Keyloggers are installed by antivirus that notedown your typing text. So if your are using your system for banking then this is a bit risky. You can download and install KeyScammbler in your pc. This tool simply encrypt whatever you type in your web browser. So even if there is a keylogger in your pc your data is not recorded. It is a great tool. Rightnow it supports Internet Explorer and Firefox only. Another tool that I will recommend you to use is TinyWall. It is a kind of smart firewall software. Through this you can instantly block and unblock the applications. It is just an simple to use firewall applications.