Thread: Things you must know to improve Windows Network Security

Things you must know to improve Windows Network Security

Windows is one of the widely used operating system. It is not only installed on desktop but on wans where multiple systems are connected with each other. Till today Windows is a wide choice of people to setup their software level infrastructure. Now what matters the most is security. Especially when there are hundreds fo computer on the lan. I had tried to read a number of blogs which told about various aspect of Windows network security. But each every time configuring a new thing is not possible. It makes the job longer and hectic. To manage a Windows network security on a low level is what I required. Going for a detailed process can consume more time and it is complicated for me to understand the technology also. All I know is the architecture of my lan with all configuration made. I need certain advice on which I can rely my security policies. I do not want too much complicated steps which I am never going to use. My network is internal connected and no one has access to it from outside. So from inside it matters me the most to keep a proper lookout. Other than this there are two internet connection configured on the lan for internet support.

Re: Things you must know to improve Windows Network Security

It is correct that going for more detailed security policies is not really good for a small network. Anyhow I never intend to go for any special security setup at my office. What I do is rely on regular Windows firewall and uses a proper antivirus in my system. I face certain virus issue within some months, so I took some time to reformat everything. What matters most is the physical security according to me if your network is small or large. Physical security consist of separate hardware, or 3rd party security support. For example biometric access to the place where computers are kept. Or setting up a crucial video recording for each and every activity carried out in your server room. This are some physical aspect I keep in my records. I maintain logs regularly to find who logged in and what accounts with privileges are assigned to whom. This make my job easier to track something in case of failure or loss. This one which I will recommend for every network.

Have you heard about host based firewalls. Today as the above reply says that he relies mostly on network firewalls. This firewall are either installed on the server and on the client pcs. But are they reliable. Does penetrating one can give access to other also. I observer many times the vulnerability case easy access even when the firewall is on. A network firewall simply is a large part of network which if fails can provide direct access to many client pcs. Because of which major network attacks are carried on. Host based firewall are bit different. Here you use a different firewall program for each and every client system. They are not similar to network firewalls. One all this configured it does not allow any unauthorized access to enter system. So a large part of your network stays safer from any attack. This is a bit manual work to configure firewall one by one in each and every system. But fore security reason this is not a bad work.

Why don't divide the networking zones. This is good for small as well as large network. See in regular network we connect all the systems. They all are in the same boat. So if one is penetrated others are tool. You can simply separate a security zone for your network and make it more secure. For example a file server website. You might know websites like rapid-share. They are best example for this. This site works behind the security zone. You have to just separately create a security zone and assign the zone as per the systems on the network. It is best for enhancing your security every now and then.

Computers on a business place are meant for working only. One feature that many of miss is encrypting the data. Encryption is a process which is available in Windows. When you encrypt a file, the files is secure. It cannot be moved or deleted or modified without the consent of administrator. Such feature is also available on other security tools. In Windows bitlocker is one that does this job. You can encrypt your entire partition to make it as secure as you want. The encryption key generated from thus can be stored on a another secure place. So in case you face a attack the hacker cannot just move or delete your data. Nor he access the content. It is protected. The same is much more secure on Linux and it become complicated for the hacker on that platform. Remember that if you have a large database then encryption can reduce the disk performance.

A very step that we ignore mostly. Do not leave any update pending. Update your Windows, your antivirus or any other software you have. Official update offer you more fixes related to software bugs. They play a vital role in your system protection. Many time people ignore updates for Windows server which is wrong. Every now and then new vulnerability appears. Those are fixed by updates. If you keep them un-updated those bugs or security holes lies in your system.