Thread: Cannot delete account (Computer Admin type account) in Win XP

Cannot delete account (Computer Admin type account) in Win XP

I'm running WinXP Pro SP3 edition. The problem is exactly as stated in the title. Here's the details:

I created an account months ago (can't remember whether it was originally an admin-type or limited-type account; it is now an admin-type account).

I decided to change the account type to limited (in the user accounts window, the word "computer administrator" did change to "limited account". But when I went back into the user accounts again, it reverted back to "computer administrator".)

Therefore, I decided to create another account (set it to "limited") and copied the files from the previous one to this newly-made account.

And when I tried to delete the old account (still "computer administrator"), I got the error "The specified account name is not a member of the local group"--tried disabling it and deleted it from Computer Management and got that same error, tried deleting it in safe mode and that annoying error popped up again.

The hotfix from Microsoft was not helping at all since it was not made for SP3 version. I googled the above error but no real working solutions were found. I desperately need help; the error is driving me nuts!

Re: Cannot delete account (Computer Admin type account) in Win XP

Are you doing the steps properly, first you have to sign in as an your original administrator account, then you have to go to Control Panel and from their go to User Accounts and then Change Account and from there click on the account you want to remove, and a set of options will show up on the left side of the dialog box, select remove account and the other account will be deleted.

Re: Cannot delete account (Computer Admin type account) in Win XP

Yeah, of course. But it's as what I had said. After the 4th screenshot, I got the error message.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bunalz; 15-08-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Attachments