Thread: Windows 7 Security Tab

Windows 7 Security Tab

Hi, i have an external hard drive that is connected with a Windows 7 (64bit) system. Recently I changed its (external hdd) security settings and denied its access to group users. Now the problem am facing is though I am the only Administrator of this PC, even am not able to access the hard drive.

I thought to revert the changes back to normal but surprisingly there is no more Security Tab in the HDD properties from where I revert the changes.

Any help please?

Re: Windows 7 Security Tab

For your information, the group “USERS” whom you banned accessing the hard drive also contains the Administrator account. Infact all user accounts come under that group itself. So, actually you thrown out yourself as well from using that External HDD.

As far as the Security Tab is concerned I don’t know why it disappeared and how you can bring it back but the only thing I can suggest you is leave the Hard drive connected with the computer and boot with Linux Live CD. This will help you to get access to NTFS permissions after which you can move or recover the data present in HDD. After doing this just format the hard drive and it will normal as before.

Re: Windows 7 Security Tab

Yeah, that’s correct Javalr. That’s the only working way left to get it working. You will need to Knoppix or Ubuntu and boot the drive. Backup all your needed Data off the drive and then do a clean reformat. Let us know the result.