Thread: Update KB972260 released today disables network connections in Windows 7

Update KB972260 released today disables network connections in Win

I had just updated my Windows with KB972260 update. After download when I restarted the system it showed me the updates installations message. Later on, when the system was on, my lan stopped working. I cannot use internet nor I can connect to any computer on the lan. I am using Windows 7 and want to inform that please check before running this update. It disables the network connection. I am still looking for some way to get rid of this things. Thanks.

Are you using a beta edition of Windows 7. I do not think the problem has caused due to update. What I know that Windows 7 is not yet official announced and there is still no updates. Just click on the network icon and go in network and sharing center. Try to ensable your connection. Check in device manager that there is any driver listed or not. Because this can be a driver problem also.

RE: Update KB972260 released today disables network connections in Win

I had faced the same thing on XP Home edition. I was not aware that the update will disable the lan connection. It is true that some Windows Update are really buggy and after installing them your system might face more errors. First after the updates were done, there was issue with internet connectivity. I went into the lan setup where all looks properly. Then I have to remove the update through control panel and upon reboot the lan started working.

RE: Update KB972260

Go in Device Manager and verify status of lan. Is there any exclamation mark or any warning symbol. Some Windows update comes with critical security updates which blocks many services. You can run system restore to revert all changes back and it is one of the best way to fix such problem. You can remove the updates, but I am not sure that is going to help much.

I am also facing the same trouble on Windows XP SP3. I am using AVG on that and my default web browser is IE7. After update the system looks to be working good, but the lan was not working. I thought that firewall might be the issue behind this. So I had added the browser under exception list. It did not helped much. I had contacted Microsoft to for help. They offered to use the paid tech support which I am not willing to go for.

I am using Kaspersky. After update my system has number of different issues. My antivirus was not working properly, the lan stopped and the system was very slow on boot. I disabled many startup programs but nothing helped there much. System restore has worked here and I expect to get a temporary relief from that. I am going to manually download and install each update which I think is much better option.

Sorry. Google search dropped me here and it seemed from the first post that the underlying problem was KB972260, not Win 7 and IE8. Other posters have referenced XP Home and Windows Server 2003 with the common theme being KB972260. I didn't get a response until I called Microsoft back this afternoon. They sent me an e-mail with the following text:

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding the service you recently received from Microsoft.

Please go ahead and remove Security Update KB972260 and block it from getting reinstalled. For any help in this regard, Please reply to this email or give us a call back.

Please continue to provide us with feedback. It is your support that enables us to move another step towards our goal. We hope to get your continued support for Microsoft.

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Product and Services.

Regards,

Ram

I asked if there was any "Fix It" or other mitigation to the risk of running without KB972260 and they said there wasn't.

Luckily FireFox is my primary browser.

Re: Update KB972260 released today disables network connections in Windows 7

Hi there,

Yes, the KB972260 update is a problem. I am running Vista Home Premium and IE7. When this update first installed it promptly shut my computer down without asking me! The computer just shut down. When I turned it on again it wouldn't recognise my DIV connection to my monitor. I managed to get it to start again by connecting the monitor with the RGA plug, but I had to turn the computer off and on at the power point about ten times before it would restart. It tried to start twice each time then stopped. Microsoft support says this update is for XP. What is it doing installing on my Vista?

To solve the problem I had to Restore to a point a few days before the current date and turn my update off. When I first did a Restore the update was still on, and after a few hours it installed the update again without my permission causing the same problem.

Now I am running my computer with update permanently turned off. This is unacceptable for the long term. What am I to do?

Yours,
    Ty