Thread: Fixing up messed up permissions on C:

Fixing up messed up permissions on C:

I am using Windows XP with Service pack 3 and I just checked that almost all the permissions on my C: drive have messed up completely. Can anyone tell me how to change it back easily because it seems that it is not possible to recover those in original state. I have already installed the latest Service Pack 3 on my computer and that is why I cant use the method describe over here as well - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377/en-us. Is there any other ways I can solve this issue?

Have you tried checking the user rights for the folders and file? It is possible that just because the user is in the administrator group then it does not mean it might have full rights to every other file and folder automatically. You will have to make sure that the group has been given full rights inorder to access the files and folders.

Re: Fixing up messed up permissions on C:

Well, the definite solution would be to repair install Windows XP over the existing XP and it will definitely solve the issue for you. To do the repair install follow the below steps:
    1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    2. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
    3. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.