Thread: gpedit.msc, access denied

gpedit.msc, access denied

Need some urgent help from you all guys. I have four systems in my office connected with each other via LAN. One of these systems is running with Windows Vista and rests are with XP Sp2.

Don’t know how all these PCs got infected with a virus called win32.sillyFDC. However we update Norton on all PCs and scanned all of them. Norton even detected these viruses and deleted them but I guess before they got removed they have done their job. I can notice many damages done to my system.

Here are few major damages done to my system:
    • Many icons/services in Control panel stopped working such as event viewer, services, computer management, etc.
    • Whenever I try running gpedit.msc, it ends up saying “Access Denied”.
    • System Restore is no more working, its disabled.
    • Even Remote Desktop stopped working.

Somebody please help.

Re: gpedit.msc, access denied

As per the symptoms you mentioned, I am sure that your system is still not clean even after Norton detected and removed the Virus. There might be some malware / spyware still residing in the system. you should follow some malware removal guide provided on web. The one I can suggest you is here that helped me many times.

Also note that if after following this guide, you still face the problem then probably malware might have damaged your operating system permanently and the solution will be reinstallation.

I ran into the same issue and fixed the problem by re-associating .msc files with the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe). Navigate to the C:\Windows\System32 folder and right-click the eventvwr.msc file (or any .msc file). Choose 'Open With'. If you see the Microsoft Management Console listed at the top of the next window, click on it to highlight. If you do not see the Microsoft Management Console, click Browse, navigate to C:\Windows\System32, and double-click the mmc.exe file. With the Microsoft Management Console or mmc highlighted in the Open With box, check the box for 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file'. Click OK and see if the issue is resolved.

Hey thanks a lot bono, it really worked. All I did was following your instruction and it solved my problems... with the gpedit.msc as well.

Thank you BONOOOO
    first time i solve a prlbm as quick as today.