Thread: Virus affected Copy/Paste function in Windows XP

Virus affected Copy/Paste function in Windows XP

My friend has email me about a weird copy paste virus in this system. He is using Windows XP at this place. Whenever he try to copy paste a file he is getting a weird website copied always. This is a bit suspicious. Whenever he copy anything and paste it notepad or word the website address appear. I am sure this is some kind of clipboard virus. Any suggestion on the same would be quiet helpful. Thanks.

Yes that can be a virus. You must scan your system with good antivirus. Then only it would be helpful. What antivirus you are having right now. The clipboard virus basically add any website url so that when you accidentally copy paste that in web browser you are redirected. Those are fake things. I am not sure any thing that can fix clipboard but system restore can help you here. Also download and install Malwarebytes Anti-malware in your system. That would help you dealing with the problem.

It is a malware and I think Malwarebytes Antimalware is one of the best tool for that. You must scan your system with that and then check again. It would help you a lot in dealing with the problem. If it is not detected then I am bit doubtful about any clipboard restoration software. System restore is a good option here, but it will also restore the malware files it it has been deleted before. That is the risk of performing system restore.

re: Virus affected Copy/Paste function in Windows XP

There are many types of threat on web. Clipboard virus is one of them. I am not able to find any resolution but some information that might be helpful. The clipboard virus simply hijacks the system clipboard and run a flash based advertisement on your screen. It can be related to number of virus in your system. A kind of alert. It is completely fake. You must never click on those things. Such kind of web attacks lie commonly on the internet and many visitors are affected by that very easily. Keep your system anitivirus updated.

Clipboard is a very basic tool. You can can try re-installing the same through control panel. Go in Control Panel and then click on Add/Remove program. There you can find Windows Setup. Click on it and then click on Accessories. Go to Details and click on Clipboard Viewer. From here you can enable, disable and re-install it. There are also many third party clipboard viewer software that you can test out and it will help you in fixing the issue.

Did you scanned your system in safe mode. It is very important to do that. Because Virus infection will not work actively under Safe Mode. I had seen number of articles on Clipboard virus behavior but there is very less information on how to fix it. Clipboard virus do not allow you to copy content or basically tries to redirect you on fake sites. I found a small tool called as xNeat Clipboard Manager. Just test this out and see whether it can help you much in fixing the problem.

I do not think there is much you can do. You can just try scanning your system. If the antivirus finds any infection it will fix it or else this issue will be common. There are quiet less chances of fixing small things in Windows. The antivirus basically looks for overall infection. It checks the startup files and crucial windows component. While things like clipboard are ignored. There are some tools which gives you the same type of features. You just need to run them on startup.

Thanks for those comment. I am too facing those problem. I am using a antispyware software, which shows nothing at all. The virus still lies in the system. I am going to install Malwarebytes Antimalware in my system and will see how it will work actually. Many recommended me to go with that tool. I thought that there might be some more helpful information or solution that can provide me some help on the same.

Download and install Hijackthis in your system. This is a nice tool for troubleshooting virus problem. This tool scans your system and generate a text report. It has detailed information on what files are working in the background. It also provides you the exact location of all files and you would be able to find the malware. Second scan your system in safe mode with Malwarebytes. If any infection is detected it will list the infected file. You can then locate the source and delete it. It is a time consuming process but really very effective.

TryClipboard Text Scrubber. It is a small tool that offers you to deal with clipboard problem. It is a very basic software. You cannot expect much from that but though it is quiet helpful. Other than this you cannot do anything. You have to get a good antivirus program. If there is a malware in your system the antivirus will help you to deal with that. Clipboard is a very basic thing.

I am too struggling for find some appropriate solution that can really work. I am not able to locate any information on it. My clipboard copies weird text always when I try to copy paste. I had ignored that and thought that it will be fixed on its own. I updated Windows and my antivirus also. I am using a free edition of AVG. But still nothing helped. System restored helped for sometime, but that is too not constant. Because after few days the same problem appears back again.

System restore just offers you temporary relief. The virus files is not deleted. It still lies in your system. And if the infection increases the virus disable system restore. In my system I always copy paste url from a text file. I get that in mail. I am was not aware about this clipboard virus. When copied and pasted the url it took me to some other website. I saw a flash popup that there are around 100 virus in my system. On clicking OK to clean it installed some utility and the system was completely under virus attack. This is how hackers plan to trap users. At the end the only option left was to format the computer.

You must never click on anything. Those are kind of flash files nothing else. They are entirely fake. I am using Norton and when I had landed on such site, it showed me popup of virus. It also showed me some IP was trying to access my system. It is always recommended that you use a good antivirus program which is capable of cleaning your system and also blocking threats that enter from outside.

Run Windows Update. That might help to some extent. Windows Update adds some critical security components which is very helpful in dealing with this kind of issues. It is not complicated to find fix, but problem is that once the virus is in your system it spreads within very less time. Also your system information is sent online which attracts other infections also.