Thread: How to cancel a CHKDSK /F in progress?

How to cancel a CHKDSK /F in progress?

I was running chkdsk on my system. The command that I had used was chkdsk /f. Suddenly there was power failure when it was almost going to get complete. I restarted the system and chkdsk started again. I need some help here to stop the existing scanning and then initiate a new one through recovery console. I hope stopping the current one will not spoil or make any issue with system files.

No I am not sure that it is going to have any major impact on your system. Try using Control C for the same. You can simply start chkdsk scanning from the recovery console. It is not going to harm your system. Chkdsk does not make any major changes to the system files. It just scans for bad sectors and generates a detailed report. That's all. I think you can blindly do the same.

It is recommended not to terminate chkdsk. It is necessary that you must let it get completed first and then go for any other process. In my last system I did the same and the interrupted chkdsk cause setup failure. You must get a good ups for your system. It will allow your computer to work properly without facing any kind of power problem.