Thread: Microsoft introduces HomeOS Prototype for smarter homes

Microsoft introduces HomeOS Prototype for smarter homes

Microsoft thinks of a hub for managing the household, an operating system for home automation and centralized management of home devices like the network devices. All these features are the ability to control the system by turning smartphones and tablets from these management functions and remote control.

AS a result Microsoft Research has developed prototypes of houses placed HomeOS. The company has further developments in 2010 unveiled its operating system for home automation described in a new white paper. HomeOS born with this specific purpose that it is for a Windows PC, HomeOS it is for the home.

Microsoft is testing an operating system for home automation known as Home OS with features that provide the management of devices in the home the same way as network devices, controllable via a gateway from a computer and various devices. A video released by Microsoft Research shows features such as monitoring, remote surveillance and facial recognition applications on a portal called "Homestore" with which the user can customize and grow the system to suit your need. The new OS should be to exploit WiFi networks to try and create harmony and "collaboration" between the various electronic devices throughout the house.

Microsoft HomeOS is developed using C # and the. NET Framework 4.0 and it is not clear whether it is based in any way or even to do with Windows. Devices such as TVs, cameras, printers, routers, mobile devices, but also lights and locks would have to be connected with the operating system. For example, lamps can be controlled automatically on the basis of the weather.

Microsoft has in the past four to eight months placed twelve prototypes in as many houses. The company also has 42 students to develop new applications while also supporting their devices extensively. It described how the household e-mail notifications including a photo and get the door unexpectedly opened. Also, applications developed with Kinect cameras used for personal notifications to give based on face.

Re: Microsoft introduces HomeOS Prototype for smarter homes

The video which revealed in Microsoft Home OS website clearly shows that this system is an abstraction layer that itself handles the details of communicating with the hardware and functionality of hardware that simply offers. The example given is that in their setup 2 IP cameras of different brands and a webcam be used and that the OS it to the developer offering a 3 'equal' cameras, so the developer does not have to worry about drivers etc.

Re: Microsoft introduces HomeOS Prototype for smarter homes

Interesting topic. Where I mainly need to have is a number connected to network switches, sensors and computers, so my PC turns on automatically when I open it and drag the front door when I turn on my TV. Now I still wake on LAN from my mobile and that is me too much work.