Thread: HOW to Stop STartup Programs that do not show in the "startup" folder or have options in the programs to not start at windows startup

HOW to Stop STartup Programs that do not show in the "startup" folder or have options in the programs to not start at windows startup

I have installed some software which gets started after windows start, I have tried stopping then from appearing in windows startup but there is no option for doing that in start > all programs > start-up. I will like to know if there is some other way by which i can which i can stop those installed programs starting at startup?

Re: HOW to Stop STartup Programs that do not show in the "startup"folder or have options in the programs to not start at windows startup

Have you checked out under Startup tab? if not then go to start, click on run type "Msconfig" without quotes and hit enter. When you see Msconfig in the list then double click on it, once you get a new window opened then click on tab and check out if those installed program are listed there.

If you see then then simply uncheck them from the list and reboot your machine after saving the changes. Those programs should not get started at startup anymore, Hope that helps.

Re: HOW to Stop STartup Programs that do not show in the "startup" folder or have options in the programs to not start at windows startup

Yes, kelfro is quite right with the solution that he has mentioned, since you are getting your installed started at windows startup they'll surely be in list of startup tab.

You just have to uncheck them from the list and after a reboot they wont appear again on startup. I also wanted to add that upon reboot if you get a 'message' box saying you have started your system in troubleshooting mode then simply uncheck the message box for preventing it to appear every time.

Re: HOW to Stop STartup Programs that do not show in the "startup" folder or have options in the programs to not start at windows startup

Dwarner, i think you have already checked that out after reading your post, i mean you have mentioned that you have gone through start > all programs > start-up but those installed programs are not appearing in list. If it is so then i will like to inform you that rather than "msconfig" Vista includes Windows Defender, This Windows Defender has a "Software Explorer", you can check it out to see if those programs are listed there. If you find them there then you can try disabling them to appear in startup from there itself.

It might be me, but you appear to be missing the point. The questioner is asking why do those programs that DON'T show up in Startup are starting, and how can they be stopped, and why are they not showing up. Valid points. Why doesn't Startup show every program that is starting at boot? This has to be an inadequacy within the OS.

The questioner does not need to be pointed to msconfig, as he/she already knows how to view what is and is not starting up at boot - obvious from the question.

The question is: how can the questioner discover what IS starting up - but does not appear in Startup, AND how can he/she stop those undisplayed startups from starting. It's very simple to me. Why are you asking daft questions? Read the question as is, and don't read what you think is said.

Anyone from now on mentioning msconfig must be shot at dawn. Or maybe 2 in the afternoon from the point of the shooter. I have to get out of bed at dawn for a moron? No, I sleep for a bit longer, I think. You get up.