Thread: "Windows cannot format the system partition on this drive"

"Windows cannot format the system partition on this drive"

I have recently reinstalled Windows Vista on my computer and have 2 hard drive as well and Vista is installed on the C: drive. I want to format the D:drive but am getting an error message saying that "Windows cannot format the system partition on this drive". I dont understand why is this System partition installed on D: drive? Is there anyone who can tell me how can I move it to C: drive so that I can format D: drive? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: "Windows cannot format the system partition on this drive"

Incase if you have 2 hard drives then the D: drive could be registered as Drive 0 and therefore will be the boot drive. So, you can try changing the cables to make your C: drive is located as Drive 0 incase you have two hard drives. And then you will obviously have to reinstall the Windows Vista Operating system.

Actually the Windows setup must be placed as the System parition on the disk that the motherboard BIOS is set to boot from. Normally, the Disk 0 should be the most likely to be the default boot drive and if you have to set the boot disk to the desired drive in BIOS setup after physically installing the disk drives. So prior to the installation, you have to go in BIOS setup and then check the settings under the Hard Disk Boot Priority and then move the drive that you want to boot from to the top of the list. So, this will make that drive as the system partition on at the time of Windows setup.

There is a simple fix to this problem, you have to go in Disk Management and then right click on the C: drive, which is the one you want as the system or avtive and then set it to the active drive. Then see to it that the problem is solved for you or not.