Thread: how to default AOL as email

how to default AOL as email

I want to know if there is a way by which i can set AOL as default? actually i am having some pictures and when i am trying to email them then i am directed to Windows Mail by default. I have gone through the settings but i am not able to see AOL as an option anywhere. Can anyone help me out dealing with this?

RE: how to default AOL as email

In that case you can try out following below steps:
    1. First Open Internet Explore, Click on Tools > Internet Options > "Programs" tab and click on Set Programs
    2. Now in next dialogue box click on "Set program access and computer defaults" and click on double arrow which will be at right side of Custom.
    3. In Custom Choose AOL as default for email and click "OK" and you are done.

Hope that helps!!

RE: how to default AOL as email

I have tried following the solution that you have mentioned but like i have already mentioned i am not able to see AOL as an option anywhere. Its not there in Custom as well, i have used windows xp and there's an option for switching to AOL in Control Panel >settings > & default. I dont know where it is in vista, further help will be appreciative.

Set Aol as default

Vishwa12 is right with his solution, I am running windows vista and i can see AOL as an option in Custom. Since you have mentioned that you are not able to see it, i wanted to know which version of vista you are using? I think that it might be varying in different versions.

Re: how to default AOL as email

I just had this happen and figured out the only way to fix it is uninstall AOL and then reinstall it. It will reset AOL as the default mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Corine View Post
    I just had this happen and figured out the only way to fix it is uninstall AOL and then reinstall it. It will reset AOL as the default mail.
    Thanks for the information dude.. but there is one more way with the help of which you dont need to reinstall your program. It is:
    • Open Control Panel
    • Click on Add & Remove program
    • On the left side, there is "Set Programm access and Defaults."
    • Click Drop down arrow of "Custom"
    • Now select the email client you want make as default.

Thats it.

Normally, you'd have that option but for some reason this can go haywire and you're stuck without the ability to perform that function. I had no choice with Vista - there was absolutely NO option to customize my email default. I suspect this is the reason for so many people googling to find the fix. It's not easily solvable. The answer I gave is for those who have tried every normal means of setting their email default to AOL and nothing works. I already tried what AOL suggested and microsoft suggested and it did not work. The only way to reset was to uninstall AOL completely and then reinstall it. Now everything finally works again.
    Last edited by Corine; 24-05-2011 at 08:41 PM.

I'm having the same issue. However I only use AOL WEBMAIL. There are options for setting Gmail and Yahoo! Mail as defaults. But nothing for AOL Webmail. Any suggestions or cheats?

Hello I try to find about this on internet and in internet search I found this following settings to make it default you have to edit your registry key for that you have to follow the following value. I am not sure it’s helpful for you or not. I hope this will help you so try with it and see if it’s working or not.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail\AOL Webmail\Protocols\mailto

Updated Solution for How to set AOL Desktop as default email in WIN 7

Additional Registry Key modified in order to prevent system from restoring default Email program back to Outlook after system restart. (Steps 5-7 new)

Unlike previous versions of Windows, you do not have the simple option under the Default Programs using the Control Panel or through the Programs Tab in Internet Explorer Options in order to set AOL as your default email program.

For all of you still trying to set AOL Desktop software as default email program in Windows 7, here is how you do it. It involves making a simple change in your windows registry. Use the following steps below to set AOL Desktop as your default email program. Modify your registry at own risk, but if you don't change anything else and follow the steps below, you will not have any problems.

1. Open Registry Editor by clicking Start button (Windows Start) and typing regedit.exe in the search bar (must be logged on as administrator).

2. Once Registry Editor is open, search for this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\mailto\Shell\open\command

3. In the right hand pane you should see a the current default string with something similar to the data below.
    Existing Value Data: = "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"

4. Right click on the Default string in the right hand pane and select modify. In the small window that opens, change the Value Data: to:
    New Value Data: = "C:\PROGRA~1\AOL Desktop 9.6\AOL.EXE" -u%1"

**Note: Verify the installation location of your particular AOL.EXE file. My AOL.EXE file installation is as indicated above.

5. Then search for this registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail

6. In the right hand pane you should see the current default string with something similar to the data below.

Existing Value Data: = Microsoft Outlook

7. Right click on the Default string in the right hand pane and select modify. In the small window that opens, change the Value Data: to:

New Value Data: = AOL

8. Finally, simply close the Registry Editor and check to see if worked by clicking on a email address from a website etc.

Please post replies for others to know if this solution worked for you. Thanks