Thread: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File

Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File

I Have been trying to transfer some documents and settings using Windows Easy Transfer from my system running on Window XP machine to Vista over network. I don't know whats going with Easy Transfer, some of my files are getting stuck and i see a flashing icon. I am not sure if there is anything wrong with the file, there should have been a option for skipping files in such cases. I have tried cancelling the transfer and starting it again but that's not making difference, transfer is still getting stuck for some files. I don't think i am missing anything, is there anything i need to check out? help regrading this will be appreciated.

RE: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File

I have faced similar issue previously but i am not sure about your case, if you want then you can create a migration store and save it to a network share. I think that should probably help you out, if at all that doesn't help and you want to run connected migration then check out Windows Easy Transfer log file which gets created automatically in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Migwiz and post it here so that i can have better idea of the issue you are going through.

If you want then you can use Windows Easy Transfer for transferring the settings. Later you can transfer the files to a network drive manually and then to your pc, i think that will be a better idea.

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File

I am facing similar issue but i don't want to transfer the files to a network drive manually . In my case both of my systems are running on windows vista, it has been 2 hours since i have started the transfer but i don't see any progress. It appears as if has got stuck, just like funbooks has mentioned there is a little blinking icon at the top. I am just running out of ideas now and i don't know what to try out further. I have been looking out in other forums but i haven't come across any effective workaround by now, so any help regarding this will be appreciative.

Even i had bad experience with Windows Easy Transfer, it used to get stuck while transferring specif files. I had tried restarting the transfer many times but doing that was just not making any difference. If i used to delete the file on which it used to get stuck and start the transfer again then it used to get stuck while transferring some other specif files. I wasn't getting much information to trace down the cause of the issue, i kept waiting for it to transfer almost 2 hours but once the transfer gets stuck then i am left with no option. Skip task is really needed in such cases, if at all there is something wrong with one of the file then whole transfer process should not get hampered. I had tried out all possible solution but none of them helped and i had no other option then transferring the files to a network drive manually and to my computer further.

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Hangs On A File

Hi all. I just have to say that i have gone through all of the nightmare scenarios associated with this windows EASY transfer. I tried to go between an xp machine to a windows 7. After days of trying and having it freeze at the same point in the process i was ready to destroy one of the two machines. I even went so far as making the store exchange my new pc for a different one.

So i set up my new machine again and made what i called my last attempt. I did every thing the same way. But this time as i sit in anticipation of failure once again i was nervously boggling the mouse and to my surprise the transfer went further than every other failed attempt. Needless to say i was jumping around with joy(not literally but i was stoked).

So was it the new machine or me toggling the mouse.

Answer:: it was me toggleing the mouse because anytime the stupid screensaver came on, it would freeze. As i found out after 2 more attempts. But finally complete.

Bottom line::: turn off screen savers on both machines and give it one more try.