Thread: VISTA Premium 64-bit OEM will not find my Western Digital SATA HD

VISTA Premium 64-bit OEM will not find my Western Digital SATA HD

My system is just 2 weeks old. I had installed Vista on it. I am having 2 hard drives on my system. The one has Vista and other one is is Western Digital Sata dive. This drive is listed inside bios but it is not detected in Vista. I can see only one drive in My Computer. I had tried to change the cable and check the drive in Device Manager. But still it is not listed. Does anyone has any idea how this thing works.

If you can see that in BIOS then it looks there is no proper driver in Vista due to which you cannot see that. I will recommend you to update your system chipset drivers and then check back. If it is still not detected then simply update your bios and then check back. I am sure by adding a new bios version would fix the problem.

You will need to update bios and then check back whether it detects or not. There might be some issue with Vista only. You can test XP also on the same. Go in bios and see whether AHCI is enabled or not. Disable that and reboot your system.

Re: VISTA Premium 64-bit OEM will not find my Western Digital SATA HD

Had problem with WD 320 GB " My passport" extermal drive on my new Desktop with MS Vista 64 bit OS . WD and MS Support were useless. Found answer to my problem here on this forum. I did plugged into USB socket directly connected to MB and it was reconized instantly. Neither front USBs or those I have on monitor (as hubs) didnt work. Want to say thank u to the person who provided this tip. Hope this may help others too.

Re: VISTA Premium 64-bit OEM will not find my Western Digital SATA HD

I registered to thank the thread starter for this thread. I had this exact same problem and thought I was going to have to RMA the hard drive or my motherboard. You saved me a lot of hassle. Formatting the hard drive, then creating a 120 GB bootable partition worked wonders.

Cheers to you!