Thread: Missing volume control in Notification area ***

Missing volume control in Notification area ***

I have installed windows vista recently and every thing was working great till yestarday. Today i found that Volume control is missing from lower right notification area. I have checked out in Taskbar & Start Menu > Properties > Notification Area but there is no option for highlighting Volume box. I dont remember changes that might have been made in my system as same system is used by my family members as well.

Try out below solution and see if you are getting it back.
    • First Back up your Registry by creating a restore point then Go to Start > Run, type "regedit" without quotes and click on OK.
    • Once you get new window opened check out for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify and delete the values IconStreams and PastIconsStream.
    • Once you have done that open Task Manager > go to Processes tab > select explorer.exe and kill it by clicking on End Process.
    • Now open Applications tab > click on "New Task" type explorer.exe in message box that pops up and click on OK.
    • Explorer.exe should now get reloaded and y should get all missing icons in system-tray
    • If at all you dont see volume bar then go to task-bar properties and checkmark it from there, just make sure that you are saving the changes before exiting window.

Re: Missing volume control in Notification area ***

i have the same problem.
    the volume network and power icons are missing. i have tried using the registry editor and even a microsoft fix-it program but the icons tick boxes remain greyed out and they do not appear in "HIDE INACTIVE ICONS" either. any ideas?