Thread: How to repair Windows Vista?

How to repair Windows Vista?

I am facing issue of corrupt icons on Windows Vista. I am not able to work on the same. I need some help to fix it. It is a new system. Also there is some issue with application working. I had tried to run system restore but that did not helped much. I am rightnow scanning my system with sfc /scannow. The last thing that is remain is to run a repair setup. I have a Vista DVD with me. On boot I clicked on Repair My Computer. The options on the screen were Startup Repair, System Restore, Complete PC Restore, Memory Diagnostic and Command prompt. I am confused how to run a repair setup through this.

Those are just basic troubleshooting options. Startup repair only fix issue which are related to Vista boot. It is just like a fresh installation. I still remember to find that option in Windows XP, but in Vista it is different. If you are not having any important data in your system, then just format your C drive and re-install Windows back again. This is one the best way to fix your system issues.

Did you checked your system for virus. Just download an install Microsoft Defender. It is free and I think it comes with Vista. You must check in your programs. Update this and scan your system with it. It is better if you have a better antivirus available also. Scanning under safe mode offers you more better option to deal with infection problems. System restore is just useless. It only works if there are some minor problem only. There are chances that your system has virus infection and due to which you are getting this kind of problem.

There is no repair setup kind of thing available in Windows Vista. And even if you found something it is not 100% cure. You have to to run a full installation. That is the only way to deal with the issue. And when you are installing Windows ensure that you are first formatting the partition and then installing Vista back from scratch. Because if you directly install Vista, there will be a windows.old folder created that can create bugs.