Thread: "Location is Not Available" -- "Access is Denied."

"Location is Not Available" -- "Access is Denied."

When ever I try to access some files or folders by going into Windows Explorer in Vista operating system then it gives me an error message that "Location is not available" and also "Access is denied". There are no multiple profiles on this pc since I am the only user and I dont understand why am I not able to access files/folders? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: "Location is Not Available" -- "Access is Denied."

I think that you might be trying to open a folder like My Documents that is not really a directory or a path in Windows Vista, since Vista uses Documents. It could be normally a junction which might be a kind of a link to another directory. I suppose you should therefore leave it alone since it might be of no use.

I assume that it could be also a permissions or might be a UAC issue. Did you try to disable the UAC and checked if that is working for you?

This issue may occur if the folder that you cannot open was created on an NTFS file system volume by using a previous installation of Windows, and then installing Windows XP. This issue may occur although you enter the correct user name and password. This issue occurs because the security ID for the user has changed. Although you use the same user name and password, your security ID no longer matches the security ID of the owner of the folder that you cannot open. Check the workaround given on this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881