Thread: Microsoft Easy Transfer (from one hard drive to another)

Microsoft Easy Transfer (from one hard drive to another)

I have a Vista beta installed on my computer and am trying to install the full version of Vista which is released. But I checked that I am not able to do the upgrade because the beta was Ultimate version and I am going to run the VistaBiz. So, I thought of installing the VistaBiz on a new hard drive and then attach Vista beta drive as secondry drive. I would then use the Microsoft Easy Transfer to get the data and setting from the drive that has vista beta to the new OS. But the steps that I have found is talking about moving data from one machine to another, so is there any other way or utility to transfer a hard drive that is in the same machine? Thank you

Re: Microsoft Easy Transfer (from one hard drive to another)

Yes, you can use removable media to migrate files and settings by following the below steps:

• Locate the removable media or the network drive that contains the Windows Easy Transfer wizard files, and then double-click Migwiz.exe to start Windows Easy Transfer.
    • If you are running any other programs, you will be prompted to close these programs. You can save your work in each program, and then close the programs individually. You can also click Close All in Windows Easy Transfer to close these programs immediately.
    • Click Next.
    • Determine the appropriate removable transfer media, and then click On a CD or other removable media, such as a flash drive.

More steps are given here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928634/en-us

Thank you for the valuable suggestions but I think that I am just goin to backup the data and all the files and then will start again from scratch. It would be a tedious job, but in the end it will be fruitful.

You can also use User State Migration Tool to migrate user files and settings during large deployments of Microsoft Windows XP and Microsoft Windows Vista® operating systems. USMT captures desktop, and application settings, as well as user accounts and users' files, and then migrates them to a new Windows installation. Just follow the guide here - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx