Thread: Can i install Vista on a FAT32 partition

Can i install Vista on a FAT32 partition

My laptop is Windows 2000 dual booted with Linux and some times i swap files from Windows partition in Linux. Linux doesn't support NTFS completely. Currently i was thinking of getting new notebook with Vista and dual-booting and use it in similar manner but before that I wanted to know if i can install Vista on a FAT32 partition? I have asked about the same to some of my room mates and Ive got varying answers. So can anyone confirm it out for me?

re: Can i install Vista on a FAT32 partition

As far as i am aware its not possible, i will suggest you to better make your system dual boot with xp. You can share data between Vista and XP easily by creating a "buffer" FAT32 partition. You really wont have any issue in doing sharing files between them, i have couple of friends carrying out same thing and i haven't heard any complains.

Having xp in dual boot with vista seems to be a good idea, anyways just to share i have come across many people having complications while installing xp as dual boot with vista. You can find dozen of cases in this forum itself, I haven't tried out my self but while going through some cases i dont think vista booted with xp will work fine. If possible first try it out on some machine before getting your new notebook .

I dont think there will be any problem in running xp and vista as dual boot, in my case i am running them in dual boot on my IBM Thinkpad and i am not facing any issue as such. I have tried running vista in dual boot with Windows 2000 as well but i wasn't getting desired speed. Some people had suggested me to check out manufacturer's site for updated software and drivers but i hardly found any. Even i will suggest you to go with xp for dual boot, like ZeDaX has mentioned data sharing gets quite easy between Vista and XP easily by creating a "buffer" FAT32 partition.

I dont know why Windows is not able to read and write to ext2, ext3 and reiser by now. I wish if they would have included a working java interpreter on a Vista installation. It seems as if they are just not bothered for writing to minority file systems. I haven't used vista by now and it will be a new experience to me, i have used windows xp on my old system but i just hope running them in dual boot wont be a difficult task.

You could try Ext2FSD to mont Ext2 and Ext3, and to read/write on Ext2 from Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.